DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Odd stuff on floor joists

Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 AM  
WestBentley

Default Odd stuff on floor joists

Aaron and I are replacing the insulation in the crawl space of our new home... when I pulled down on section of old insulation, we found this very funky looking spot. It's black/brown and shiny, but when Aaron touched it, it was dry..

I would almost think it was a flaw originally in the wood, but it stained the insulation that was up there...

Any ideas what it is? We left it exposed so we could find it again, but I didn't have my camera to take a pic. I looked up pics online of dry rot and mold and it doesn't look like either of those. We've redone the insulation in about half the crawl space and this is the first and only spot we've run into like it.. joists on all sides are fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2007, 12:45 PM  
CraigFL

Sap maybe??

Old 02-22-2007, 01:11 PM  
WestBentley

That was my thought too, but the house was built in '88... I guess if the insulation was original, it could have gotten on there while the sap was still wet...

Old 02-25-2007, 01:00 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I wear gloves every day all day long because the wood sap gets so nasty.
Pine and spruce, even when treated are very likely to have sticky sap anywhere on it. The color description sounds exactly like sap.
I love it when I get it in my hair, on my face or on my shoulder from carrying it

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Quick Reply