Water Heater Strategy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remout

Reaction score
We're considering a 160 gal tub in our re model. Sizing the remainder of our small 2 person house, a 40 gal would do without the tub. We're all electric. I live in the tropics of South Louisiana

I'm got 3 ideas.

1. Buy a 100 gal heater and pay the bill.

2. Buy a hybrid/ heat pump water heater. Do you put these in a hot attic? I've read you need 1,000 sq feet of attic air which I have. One site read hot attic air while another made it seem like the heat pump needs cooler air. Confused on this

3. Get a 40 and a 100. Only turn the 100 on 1 hour before tub use. Would this be smart if we used the tub once a day?

Thanks!

That’s a lot of water to heat for a single use. I have a hot tub that’s 475 gallons but the water is good for between 4 and 6 months with a little effort. Usage is at least once per day X 2 people. I don’t know the figures on maintaining temp and reheating each time.

What temp will you be wanting the water at and what temp your heater will make it would give you an idea on how much you will need to have 160 gal tub. I think 100 gallon tank sounds about correct though.

Don’t know too much about savings with a heat pump tank there was a thread a week or so ago about one.

#3, but, you must pipe it to its own valve.

also, if you put it in the attic. build a platform OVER a load bearing wall to help with the weight

120vac40a_rev (1).jpg

I did up a house with a basement suite and jetted tub upstairs, my plumber son-in-law was sure I need two 50 gal tanks. I went with one and never ran out of water, my neighbor installed a simular tub and bought a second 40 gal tank but never got around to putting it in so when mine leaked a bought his extra and never run out of water. Electric.

Latest posts

Back