DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > HVAC > oil furnace won't light

Old 02-24-2007, 04:04 PM  
akradar

Default oil furnace won't light

I do have fuel, about 50 gallons per the stick. The motor spins and according to the fog, fuel is being pushed to the burner chamber. What I DON't know is if the electrodes are actually sparking. The transformer is sparking, I lifted it a bit during a forced start, and it was like out of a Frankenstein movie. What is a next good step not involving a phone call and a repair guy? Is there a way to check electrode length and condition?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2007, 09:40 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Check the space between the electrodes; I hope you have an owner's manual to tell you what it should be.
Caution: Too many false starts cause a pool of fuel in the bottom of the fire box which can result in an elplosion.
Glenn

Old 02-25-2007, 08:20 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

To add, there is a small eye detector that must be clean. It has been so long I can not remember exactly where it is but you shouldn't have a problem finding it. It is small and round and down near the electrodes I believe.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 02-26-2007, 08:59 AM  
akradar

Okay, I got it. I pulled the burner assembly by lifting the transformer, and sliding the whole assembly out of the chamber. The front end of that assembly looked like someone dipped it in oil and rolled it around in the dirt. I hit it with a wire brush lightly, and burned a lot of the crud off with a torch. A little brake cleaner and a shot with the torch to make sure it wasn't combustible, and re-introduced the whole mess to the burner chamber. Screwed down transformer, and plugged it in. Started chugging like a freight train ( I assume there was a bit of excess oil ) then quieted down and purred away. Ahhh, my garage is warm again! I figure I saved a couple hundred bucks there. Plus I know what to look for when I clean it up this summer.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Quick Reply