Matching 7/8" thick tongue and groove siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My old craftsman house has cedar shake siding over old tongue and groove siding. I'm moving my front door over and moving a few windows, so I need to find some sheathing material to fill the holes left at each of those locations. The problem is that my choices are either 3/4" plywood or 1" plywood, neither of which matches up with the 7/8" thick tongue and groove, so I'm going to end up with an uneven surface when I go to patch the siding. What's the best way to go about matching the surface heights? Should I just shim up the 3/4" plywood?

Thanks!

20151115_123951.jpg

What ever plywood thicknes you would like to use and rip slices off a 2x4 that make up the thickness and tack them on the studs first.

You are going to have to add new framing to nail (screw) to anyways. Start with 2x6 and rip them to suit the ¾ outside and flush inside.

Just an FYI that is not tongue and groove. It is ship lap or half lap novelty siding.

Actually I think it is Dutch Lap or German Cove Lap siding. :)

Plan B pick thru the different grades of plywood and find one that is 7/16 thick and cut strips to space out the studs.

Plan C if you get to the 7/16 plywood section just buy 2 sheets and double it up to get your 7/8.

Plan D

The granddad I work with would just save the pieces he cut out for the new door and use them to fill in the old door. My house had a lot of 5/4 plank siding and we saved all the scraps and used them all the time to fill in holes.

no waste

Latest posts

Back