RedGard for tub/shower surround

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missdoc77

Reaction score
We've got our new tub installed and are ready to put the backer board up (using Hardie) and waterproof using RedGard. I am unable to find installation instructions regarding the wall to tub transition and whether or not that should be sealed with the RedGard OR only RedGard the backer board then silicone the transition space.

Can anyone answer that question? Thanks!

Vertical wall seams get mesh tape and top coat of RedGard as you do the entire wall. Transition from tile to tub must be flexible caulk to allow for movement when tub is filled or people showering. Using hard grout on that margin is a common mistake and source of inevitable future leaks.

TUB 1.gif

Thanks. Your diagram shows using a membrane behind a metal lath? I'm guessing that's the way they did it when my 1979 house was built because that's basically what we tore out - minus the membrane! I know the space between the finished wall/tile and tub ledge needs silicone caulk. But my question is about what is needed - if anything - to seal the space between the backer board and tiling flange before you begin tiling. Silicone there as well??

Not needed if you are applying RedGard to the outer surface. That is the purpose of the elastomeric product, right? You seal all vertical surfaces and corners. I suppose you could silicone the gap behind the backer board and flange AND the various intersections first, then apply mesh then apply RedGard .... but that is clearly overkill. Since the tile projects to 1/8"-1/4" above the rim of the tub, you will apply siliconized sealant after tiling to that margin. You're already doing a great job with the RedGard .... no need to get crazy.

Tile board also should not be direct contact with the top of the tub.
There should be about 3/8" gap there.

Latest posts

Back