How to power supply outdoor security camera

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vikasintl

Reaction score
Camera is outdoor and wifi ip camera ...so even though it does not need Ethernet cable supply...it needs power supply.

I have an single gang exterior outlet on that wall but I dont want to connect this camera's power adapter (12V /1A) on the exterior wall exposed to rain etc.so how do I wire this?

I want camera's adapter and its wire hidden so its not exposed to rain ...also adapter will not fit/hide inside the weatherproof cover I am going to put on this exterior outlet.... Camera's location is about 2 feet above where the exterior single gang outlet is...

My outdoor camera was connected similar. The wiring was similar to a doorbell wire, about 24 gauge and a red and black wire. I simply added a 25' length of wire, spliced in the wire (using heat shrink on the ends), and plugged it in to a weather safe receptacle.

Camera is outdoor and wifi ip camera ...so even though it does not need Ethernet cable supply...it needs power supply.

I have an single gang exterior outlet on that wall but I dont want to connect this camera's power adapter (12V /1A) on the exterior wall exposed to rain etc.so how do I wire this?

I want camera's adapter and its wire hidden so its not exposed to rain ...also adapter will not fit/hide inside the weatherproof cover I am going to put on this exterior outlet.... Camera's location is about 2 feet above where the exterior single gang outlet is...

If your cover is a surface mount then add an extension with the stepdown transformer, the recepticle and cover out of the bottom, a wire mould out of the top, too the camer.

A lot of devices actually run on 12 volt DC. Check your transformer for output power. If it's 12 volt DC, you can use a small battery like the one found in a UPS and keep it charged with a cheap solar panel.

Some of the transformer power supplies have a male plug on the end of the wire where it plugs into the camera. Cut that and splice it into the solar panel. Pay attention to polarity.

Back