Walnut plywood slab cabinet doors: options for finishing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swindmill

Reaction score
I've had several posts during my kitchen reno, and I'm sure I'll have more. I appreciate all the input so far. I couldn't do projects like this without the advice.

I'm now moving on to my semi-custom cabinet install. I've become a big fan of Ikea carcasses and the Blum hardware that comes with them, but not a fan of their door fronts and paneling, so I'm going with a mix of Ikea carcasses and Walnut slab doors and end panels. I'll also be making custom floating shelves to replace some upper cabinets, but these will likely be painted (I've previously posted about those). The Ikea cabinets are assembled and ready to be installed using their suspension rail system and adjustable feet.

I will be picking up 3/4" sheets of walnut ply and edge banding tomorrow. I really love the look of Walnut and I'm leaning towards just putting a satin finish and leaving it. Some reading I've done suggests a light stain is good for consistency and to protect from fading. Although I've done some staining of cabinets and shelving, I don't have a lot of experience, and I've never worked with Walnut. I'm just looking for suggestions on finishing options...stain or not...color of stain...type of clear coat, etc.

I should add that this is a pretty modern looking kitchen - grey bamboo flooring, frameless cabinets, grey stone (to be decided) countertops, 4" LED can lighting, one 36" window, and one skylight. Opens up to living room.

Last edited:
I've had several posts during my kitchen reno, and I'm sure I'll have more. I appreciate all the input so far. I couldn't do projects like this without the advice.

I'm now moving on to my semi-custom cabinet install. I've become a big fan of Ikea carcasses and the Blum hardware that comes with them, but not a fan of their door fronts and paneling, so I'm going with a mix of Ikea carcasses and Walnut slab doors and end panels. I'll also be making custom floating shelves to replace some upper cabinets, but these will likely be painted (I've previously posted about those). The Ikea cabinets are assembled and ready to be installed using their suspension rail system and adjustable feet.

I will be picking up 3/4" sheets of walnut ply and edge banding tomorrow. I really love the look of Walnut and I'm leaning towards just putting a satin finish and leaving it. Some reading I've done suggests a light stain is good for consistency and to protect from fading. Although I've done some staining of cabinets and shelving, I don't have a lot of experience, and I've never worked with Walnut. I'm just looking for suggestions on finishing options...stain or not...color of stain...type of clear coat, etc.

I should add that this is a pretty modern looking kitchen - grey bamboo flooring, frameless cabinets, grey stone (to be decided) countertops, 4" LED can lighting, one 36" window, and one skylight. Opens up to living room.

You'll have several pieces of walnut scrap to experiment with, when all the openings are filled and assembled, and that's the time to make those selections.

I'm not sure where to begin my testing, but from what I've read, a Danish oil (medium or dark walnut) followed by a spray lacquer or wipe on poly is a good and relatively simple way to finish walnut. I'm reading that it will lighten quite a bit without some sort of tint used before the topcoat. I definitely don't want a light brown finish to my cabinets, so maybe a darker danish oil is the best way to start. I'm also hearing conversion varnish is the way to go for cabinet top coats. I guess I have a lot of things to try.

spray lacquer was the stuff that would come off with certain things that get on your hands in the kitchen. Poly may not like an oil, I would look for a stain from a same company that goes together.

I'm not sure where to begin my testing, but from what I've read, a Danish oil (medium or dark walnut) followed by a spray lacquer or wipe on poly is a good and relatively simple way to finish walnut. I'm reading that it will lighten quite a bit without some sort of tint used before the topcoat. I definitely don't want a light brown finish to my cabinets, so maybe a darker danish oil is the best way to start. I'm also hearing conversion varnish is the way to go for cabinet top coats. I guess I have a lot of things to try.

You are correct, walnut begs for oil and were I to finish, and I simply like the wood in spite of the maintenance, I would use a very thin coat of water white lacquer.

Back