Trane XB10 Help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npbroome

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I've got a 14 year old unit that I need to patch up until I can get it replaced in a couple of weeks.

Here's the problem. There's no air coming through the vents, the fan turns, and when I looked at the unit outside, there was a layer of ice on the pipe connecting the unit to the house that was easily 1/8th of an inch thick.

The last time I turned the unit on, I did smell something burning, which is why I cut it off.

Thanks in advance !!

Indoor fan runs ? Does it feel like it is moving the " normal " amount of air ? Is the filter clean / OK ?

Duct work intact and no obvious leaks ?

Drain working OK ?

A-Coil clean / not stopped up with lint & dust bunnies ?

If all this is OK , and the copper line is freezing up , at the outside unit ? Two most likely causes I know of .

A - Insufficient air flow through the A-Coil . But if all the first set of questions were OK , insufficient air flow probably is not it .

B - System low on refrigerant .

God bless
Wyr

Sounds like the system ran low on freon (small leak somewhere that needs to be fixed).
This will cause the system to ice up as you have witnessed at the outdoor compressor.
The A-coil is iced up too so you won't feel any air flow through the ducts until it thaws out.
Turn the A/C off and the Fan to "ON" to speed up defrosting.
Have the leak fixed and system recharged.
Not sure why your replacing or if your replacing the A/C as well as the furnace too, if so, then just leave it off for now cause your looking at a couple of hundred bucks to fix.
Good Luck.

Good point .

The A-Coil may be / probably frozen into a block of ice . Turn the tstat to fan on continuous and set the tstat high enough so the compressor does not come on .

Then check the air flow , after the A-Coil has had time to thaw out . If it is an air flow problem , correct that . ( Do not forget the filter . )

If it is low on refrigerant , fix the leak and add the proper amount of refrigerant .

God bless
Wyr

Latest posts

Back