Intermitten (shuts off randomly) power to one side of electrical bus bar

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillipa

Reaction score
This is an apartment complex. The service panel has two rings, or meters, and 2 Murray 2-pole 50 amp breakers. The service panel is about 25 to 35 years old. Each 2-pole 50 amp breaker services a subpanel in each apartment. No issues with apartment A, but problems with apartment B.

I took a voltage reading off of the two legs from Southern California Edison (SCE) going into the main service 100 amp breaker for each of the apartments. All four read 117 volts. Two for each apartment.

I then went into the subpanel and took a reading directly from the two main wires coming from the service panel for apartment B, only one has 117 volts. Other is completely dead. Went back to the main 2-pole 50 amp breaker. Switched it on and off but still one "dead wire" at the subpanel. I then switched the 2-pole 50 amp breaker with apartment A's 2-pole 50 amp breaker. Still had same issue with the apartment A breaker that I just hooked up to apartment B. Put original Apartment B breaker on apartment A and no issues with apartment A. Seems like both 100 amp main breakers are fine.

The "dead wire" in the subpanel randomly shuts off and on. Time frame is about every 30 minutes or so. This is even with the HVAC off so that is not the issue. The contacts for the main 2-pole 50 amp breaker are not scored but I don't have access to see where the "dead wire" hooks up to the main 2-pole 50 amp breaker contact because it is right behind the electrical service meter.

So I'm thinking that the contact I can't see may be loose or bad.

1) Do I need to contact SCE to have them remove the meter?
I know how to replace the whole dual service panel if necessary but I'm not a licensed contractor.

2) Do I need to be a licensed contractor to replace the panel if necessary? This is in California.

Any suggestions on further diagnostics would be helpful.

Thank you,

Phil​

Report your problem to the rental office and they can send a tech to fix it.

Hello,

I'm the actual owner and do a lot of my own repairs, so I was trying to get some potential answers without having to call an electrician out. Repairs like this want to make me a renter though LOL

Thank you

Call an electrician, leaky faucet, you have a leak, faulty electric and you aren't sure what you're doing, you can kill someone. If you have to ask this question, call a pro. We are a diy site, but safety first.

If you suspect the loose connection will be accessible behind the meter panel cover and the meter rings prevent that from being removed, than absolutely "schedule" a temporary meter pull, with SCE, so your "electrician" can accomplish the repairs.

What has happened for me in the past, is they will remove or adjust the meter retainer rings as necessary, to accommodate access to the panel, so the repairs can be made, within a specific time frame.

Mine is a 1964 ZINSCO, PITA.

Did you measure the output from the bad breaker at the breaker?

As Joed pointed out, you need to check the load side of the 100a main, not just the line side.

Hello,

I didn't test the load side of the breaker. I can't access it because the contacts that the breaker connect to are flush with the metal divider of the panel that "hides" the lugs behind the meter. Talked to the tenant yesterday. He said after I left he lost power to part of the apartment (due to one bus bar being dead) then it came back on and has been on ever since. Crossing fingers I don't get a call from him. If it does go out again then I will schedule the meter to be pulled so I have access to the lugs and contacts and test it from there.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Call an electrician, leaky faucet, you have a leak, faulty electric and you aren't sure what you're doing, you can kill someone. If you have to ask this question, call a pro. We are a diy site, but safety first.

The fact that your asking people you don't know and could be wrong (literally "dead wrong"), we can't see what your dealing with and guage your competency either; is endangering your life and in this case the lives of others.

CALL AN ELECTRICIAN!! :mad:

Latest posts

Back