Adapting outdoor fixtures for LED bulbs? (solved)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepper

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We have a few of these simple light fixtures out on our deck:

https://www.homehardware.ca/products/300/36392271.jpg

I'd like to replace the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs, but I understand LEDs aren't supposed to be used in enclosed fixtures. Would it help if I drilled a few subtle holes in the bottoms of the glass enclosures? Or is it more practical just to look for LED-compatible fixtures? (If I can save some dough, I'll score a few wife points... If only they didn't expire hourly.)

BTW, I tried to insert that image of the fixture—but although I used the editor's "insert image" button and pasted in the image's URL, all that appears here is the URL. Would someone mind giving me a clue about that?

Last edited:
Don't drill your fixtures. Some LED bulbs are rated for enclosed fixtures. I know some of the Cree units the HD sells are rated for enclosed fixtures. Just look at the packaging and it will tell you if it is.

I've now learned I really should replace the fixtures with top-vented ones anyway. Thanks!

BTW, I'd mark this thread "SOLVED", but apparently you can't edit the title of threads you've started. (This has never been a problem in other forums.)

Latest posts

Back