DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > blackout curtains etc

Old 04-04-2007, 02:13 PM  
AndyD5
The Cable Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to AndyD5
Default blackout curtains etc

I have a small Living/Family room there is no good way to arrange the furniture to not have enormous amount of glare from the one window in the room. I'm just looking for ideas to block out the light when i want too that won't look like I boarded up the window one of the windows in the room was removed and boarded over by a previous home owner unfortunately so the lighting is all wrong in the room anyhow. Got any ideas?

-Andy the cable guy

I love to work on my house would love to help you with yours!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM  
Big Red

Maybe I can suggest something you haven't thought of. I used to work lots of nights and had to sleep thru all that sunshine for days on end. I had drapes made with a liner called a solar shield. It's a silvered fabric. It didn't make the room totally dark--more like it was dusk outside. They really worked great and made the room cooler too.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:09 AM  
CraigFL

You can buy shades that when you pull them down almost all the light will be blocked out.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:47 PM  
AndyD5
The Cable Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to AndyD5

here's what I've decided to do I'm going to make cabinet door shutters to match my furniture and on the back cover them with fabric which i will use to make the curtains for the windows on the front of the house as well so when it's closed it will just look like the curtains closed and do the same in the other room. I already had a nice oak bedroom set I bought several years back my parents just bought a new entertainment center and there old one matches the bedroom set I have so I now have matching furniture HOW COOL IS THAT. anyhow I have regular 32 inch TV and entertainment center now and I will put in accent lights around the room so I can block out the sunlight glare and create new lighting for ambience. now all I need is a sofa and someone to reupolster the old lazy Boy and I'll be set till of course the kids put their wear into it all.

-Andy the cable guy

I love to work on my house would love to help you with yours!

Quick Reply