Need help with my bathroom sink

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thel1953

Reaction score
My bathroom sink is a mess. It has a big chip and some rust stains, which were substantially worsened by the little sink flooding surprise we got on our walk-through the day we closed on the house (as some of you may recall!).

The walk-through susprise (No, the pedestal doesn't go with the sink and your guess is as good as mine as to why it was there!)
IMAG0166.jpg

The sink today:
IMAG0338.jpg

IMAG0339.jpg

I have not even really cleaned it, as I'm afraid to. I do have some of that Barkeeper's Friend stuff as was recommended to me here, and I suppose for starters I should use that to clean it up a bit (?).

Next, I am wondering about using something like this pedestal sink to refinish it. Good idea or bad? Anybody used that kit before?

Confusing matters, I read that rather than refinish, you are better off having a cast iron sink or tub re-enameled & refired. There is actually a place near St. Louis that does that, but they aren't answering my emails. And subsequently (while waiting to hear back from them), I've read that because they no longer put lead in the porcelain coating, it's not that durable any more anyway, so it's not really worth the $$$ to have done.

Pumie-Scouring-Stick-HDW-12.jpg

this will clean it purdy....

remove all the fixtures and give it a scrub

"The Works" avalible at any Dollar Store, Wal-Mart will also instantly remove the stains.
If you have high iron content in the water and or old steel pipes the stains will always come back and stain all your fixtures.
High iron content then most likely you need a water softener.
Simple enough to get the water tested.

2nd the motion for cleaning.

The pedestal is there to prevent the sink from falling to the floor, and no, it's not for it, just a very crude deception.

Latest posts

Back