Grass removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hey there,

Planning to remove the front grass and have a combination of mulch and mostly rocks (California rocks size of about 1"). The size is about 1800 sq. ft. I live in socal.

How much dirt should I have them remove? I have done a few times myself where I just removed about 2".

Does the house down the street have the same thing? You might ask them what they did.

I’m too lazy to dig all that out. I would spray the whole thing with Round Up and let the grass die. Then rent a tiller and run over it then rake off an inch or so then roll it. after that I would use landscape cloth and then the stone.

You could rent a sod cutter as well. Around here that would be easier than trying to rototill hard packed clay that passes for top soil.

You could rent a sod cutter as well. Around here that would be easier than trying to rototill hard packed clay that passes for top soil.

I was thinking the same. When I had the driveway expanded, I saw how they cut my sod out nicely.

The guys quoted $900 for a complete job including haul away. Now I just need to determine how much dirt I want to remove.

In So Cal, although the parkway is your responsibility to maintain, it is not your property, but the cities, and they can get a little antisocial when insulted.

Well, you said you've done this before; how did it turn out? Did you remove enough dirt and root to prevent any growing back? Landscape fabric should be completely covered...it deteriorates in sunlight, so I would guess that 2 inches would be minimum. I would also guess that your landscaper would sell the dirt, so you might consider selling it yourself.

rent a bobcat. use it to remove the sod (load it and dispose of), level the surface and spread the rock with it.
best money you'll ever spend.

You want to remove as little dirt as possible so you don't have to pay to replace it. I would think what ever method you use 1 - 1.5 inches should be enough.

Sod cutters do the best job. Skid steers do good but remove too much if you are not careful and make it a messier job.

In So Cal, although the parkway is your responsibility to maintain, it is not your property, but the cities, and they can get a little antisocial when insulted.

SoCal is pushing people to do xeriscaping, if neighbors have done it I suspect they're ok with it, but I'd check with the city first.

Exactly, and they are more receptive when you ask for clarification.

However, there are some who will want specific details.

Latest posts

Back