Refacing luan doors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
Is it possible? Is it practical? I don't really want to start replacing doors if I don't have to, but I have a couple of luan doors that have taken a beating. I was wondering if there are any ways to fix them up without making it look so obvious.

The easiest way is to just glue a new skin over old, but on the one side you may have to plug screw holes and move the hinges over. Contact cement.
You can find new door skins but they are almost as much as buying a 4x8 sheet, ofetn the outfit that sells that thin stuff will have the skin to.
http://doorskins.blogspot.ca/

In the 60s when mahogany doors were all the rage, I helped a guy cut a half inch all around good 6 panel doors, replace that with mahogany and then glue new skins on both sides.:rofl:

I have put up a few of those pressed out Masonite doors that look like a 4 panel door. I think they look really nice after painting and seem to hold up well. They are so cheap I don’t see how they can make and transport them for what they sell for.

I think it would be less cost and time than refinishing a older flat luan door. I have seen people make flat doors look like a panel door (kind of) with trim strips etc. If the doors are stained and varnished even adding a new skin it would be hard to get a match. If they are painted I would just put in a new door.

A couple of doors need first aid from dog scratches and robe hooks that pulled loose. Between room doors, closet doors, & bathroom doors I would have to replace 7 doors if I want them to match. They're stained, and not very glossy. I'm looking for a cheap way out, if possible. I considered getting a sheet of luan, but that would be 1/4" thick, adding on to the door, unless I get into major surgery. I thought about skim coating the door with something (not sure what to skim it with) and then painting. That may be worth a try on one, to see how it comes out.

A couple of doors need first aid from dog scratches and robe hooks that pulled loose. Between room doors, closet doors, & bathroom doors I would have to replace 7 doors if I want them to match. They're stained, and not very glossy. I'm looking for a cheap way out, if possible. I considered getting a sheet of luan, but that would be 1/4" thick, adding on to the door, unless I get into major surgery. I thought about skim coating the door with something (not sure what to skim it with) and then painting. That may be worth a try on one, to see how it comes out.

Door skins are 1/8"

Door skins are 1/8"
I have to shop further, but so far I have found a 36"x84" skin for over $90. Might as well get a new door at that price point. Also, I can't tell quality and whether they look good from an online ad. I would hate to purchase and find out it looks like contact paper:hide:

I have to shop further, but so far I have found a 36"x84" skin for over $90. Might as well get a new door at that price point. Also, I can't tell quality and whether they look good from an online ad. I would hate to purchase and find out it looks like contact paper:hide:

When in doubt 1/8 mdf and paint.

Wow, my search did not come anywhere near that item. Possibly because I searched phenolic and these are listed as natural wood. Minimum quantity aside (heh, heh) do you have any experience with this product, or similar? I'm not sure what quality to expect, with an explanation like; "The dimension is flexibly available and customerized." Just makes me a little nervous

If you are going to paint them skim them with bondo and sand them out. Go to your local gas station and on top of the pumps are normally a bunch of used gas cards. I grab 5 or 6 every time I fill up. They make great bondo spreaders. If you want to make bondo thinner add some of the clear polyester resin you use for doing fiberglass cloth work. it will go on like warm butter.

Back