Shower door (sliding glass) crumbled. What should I do now?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repear

Reaction score
One of the two sliding glass shower doors shattered into thousands of pieces.

http://imgur.com/a/fNZkX

What are some inexpensive ways to keep water from splattering out of the shower stall? One thing I can think of is a plastic curtain. I reckon it's only a few dollars. We would also need to buy a horizontal rode and the wire clips that go into the holes at the top of the curtain.

A shower curtain and rod would be your least expensive option. There are rods that do not require mounting, they are held in place by tension springs. If a stock shower door will fit that would be your most economical glass option.

I was told that it was custom glass. I wonder if the "stock shower door" is still an option.

Yikes. How old was the shower door? I've heard of that happening and heard it happens more often if it wasn't installed properly. I wonder if it was under any warranty.

Tension rod with shower curtain is probably your least expensive option. There are a variety of interesting shower curtains out there. If your shower pan wasn't already in place, I would suggest putting a magnetic strip on the inside lip so that you could get a curtain with magnets in the bottom to hold it still-- but sometimes just getting the lip wet and then pressing the bottom of the curtain against it will make it stick.

20 years old, i was told.

maybe we should get, um, a 2-foot-high wall, to act as a "big lip". :)

Any glass you do get will need to be tempered glass though. That way if it does shatter, it isn't as likely to be sharp.

Does anyone know how a glass shop does tempered glass? I found this on how to cut it yourself. Which involves untempering in you handy craft oven that gets to 900F and the "you may want to temper it when finished". My thought after reading the steps involved was to believe the other things that popped up when I Goggled "how do you cut tempered glass" which as basically, "you can't."

And yes, the reason the OPs doors broke into a thousand pieces was because the glass was tempered.

I assume a glass shop gets glass that *can* be tempered, makes the cuts and then tempers it.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-cut-tempered-glass

Buy a piece of Plexiglas saw it to size and stick it in where the glass was.

Never heard of a real glass shop doing there own tempering.
They just order the already tempered glass to size.
DIY doing it is out of the question.
No way would I be using plexiglass!
It would be clear, going to scratch when cleaning, it will turn yellow with age.
A real glass shop can come out and see what finish you have on the good door, measure and order a new piece so it all matches.

Trade secret: In every area there's only 1 or 2 glass companies that temper glass no matter who you order it through, Tempering ovens aren't cheap and one oven is enough to serve the needs of a large area. You can replace it with tempered glass cut to the same dimensions as the other door. From the pics, it looks like the attachment is clamped rubber pads, just attach then to the new glass tensioning the screws to the same torque as the existing door or if the clamps close tight on it, do the same for the new glass.

If you don't feel up to he job hire it out to a tiler or glass installer who does these. The labor charge won't be much as they can do it quickly but that glass won't be cheap. When I run across these in rental homes we pull them to reduce the landlord's potential liabilities and install a rod for a curtain- that will be your cheapest nice-looking option.

Phil

DIY doing it is out of the question.

When I Googled it and got the link I posted in my question my thought was it isn't something anyone would or could DIY. I could save $25 on the glass if I only had a $2000 (no idea how much one costs) craft oven.

They use special purpose-built ovens for this because of the size of the panes possible being so large and with height being un-needed. And you don't want the liability issues of a DIY job coming back to haunt you if it gets broken. Code inspectors now want to see the proper tempered certification stamped or etched into the glass before they will give you a 'pass' where it is required, and that isn't a DIY thing. Tempered glass isn't all that expensive once you know what's going on behind the scenes. There's a fairly high percentage of scrap involved as any flaw in the glass being tempered will make the finished product unacceptable if it survives the tempering unbroken. Tiny air bubbles become big and visible, unseeable stresses in the glass can crack it, and once tempered there's no re-cutting so errors there add up too leaving large chunks of wasted time and money behind. Plus it's usually as permanent as a concrete block so you only pay once forever.

There is usually some way of saving money in doing anything; the wisdom comes in when the time, effort, and hassle of that approach are figured in which often makes "the standard practice" look much more viable than it does at the first glance. If there were a better way you can be sure the Pros in construction would all be doing it that way because we're in the business to make money, not waste it, and we've got to compete with some pretty sharp folks doing what we do if we're to still be doing business tomorrow. We order our tempered glass simply because that's the best way to get the job done.

Phil

Latest posts

Back