DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Oil in sump pump motor?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 AM  
CMACDONALD

This is great! I was so shure when i dumped that stuff all over my bench and then spilled a can of mineral spirits (cleaning a paint brush) while i was trying to sopp up the first mess...i feel so alone sometimes, anyway great info.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:00 PM  
oi789
Default Sump pump oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
Most "Sump" pumps weren't meant to be repaired. Use them once and throw them out. But if you can't find the oil. Most motor rewind shops have drums of it.
I can't see how throwing out a $275.00 pump and that does not include the shipping
of $45.00 to be very "GREEN". All that was wrong with mine was a $3.00 capacitor and was a little low on oil. The parts list did not list the oil but tec said 5-20 non detergent motor oil is fine. This was a Burcam pump. Finding parts for any thing is getting very hard I looked on the internet for hours to find the capacitor.
This is just a throw it out and buy a new one society. Burcam had one for around $40.00 plus shipping. I found one for $3.00 plus shipping.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:52 PM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have all kinds of capacitors. We have a pump/motor shop, so I have to stock a pretty fair amount of them. I don't put them on my website because they're are too many to list.

The problem with adding oil or replacing oil when water gets in is temporary, because generally the oil either leaked out or water leaked in through the shaft seal. If you didn't replace that, you just put a temporary fix on the pump.

I won't work on them for two reasons. One is the oil getting on everything and second, is some folks bring in their sewage pumps for repair. I don't even want them in my building.

As far as adding motor oil, I was always told the only oil to add was dielectric oil. Vegetable can be used as a substitute. But the dielectric properties of the oil assist in the way the motor runs.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:30 PM  
oi789

The oil was at the level where the O-ring sealed the top half to the bottom. there did not appear to be any water in the oil. The O-ring was deformed. I don't think the shaft seal is bad. I am replacing the O-ring and will be keeping a eye on the oil level. The tec person at Burcam is the one who told me 5-20 non detergent oil would be fine to use and I am going with that.
William

Old 01-12-2015, 07:39 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

Quote:
The oil was at the level where the O-ring sealed the top half to the bottom. there did not appear to be any water in the oil. The O-ring was deformed. I don't think the shaft seal is bad. I am replacing the O-ring and will be keeping a eye on the oil level. The tec person at Burcam is the one who told me 5-20 non detergent oil would be fine to use and I am going with that.
William
How do you keep an eye on the oil level?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 PM  
ajaykp
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Vegetable oil for the sump pump electric motor!!!

I was trying to unclog my sump pump (Ridgid 1/2 HP) and in the process all the oil in the motor drained out. As suggested by other user, I used vegetable oil and put everything back together. Looks like motor and pump working ok. I will check it in couple of days to see if things are still ok. Thanks.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 07-20-2015, 07:02 AM  
Speedbump
Water well etc.

You did use Wesson oil didn't you???