subfloor in 1950's home

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfd1984

Reaction score
Had some termite damage in the original subfloor of my 1959 built home. I cut out the bad boards and replaced with 3/4 t&g sheets glued and screwed down to the joists. I am not sure what type of wood floor I will be installing, but should I put down and underlayment before installing hardwood floors? I have gone through the entire home and screwed down all the old subfloor to try and take the squeaks out, and my thought now is to glue and screw down 1/2inch plywood over the entire floor before installing hardwoods. I will try and attach some pics of the floor.

Thanks

floor 1.jpg

floor 2.jpg

floor 3.jpg

floor 4.jpg

If you have the whole house ripped up you will never have a better time to level and cover everything to get a true surface. I think I would do what you are thinking about doing. Maybe even ¾ thick.

Welcome to the forum.

Do not glue down the 1/2". Fasten to the subfloor and miss the joists with the screws. Each layer will contract and expand slightly due to moisture and temperature. If glued and/or screwed to the joists, it will cause issues. It could make it split.

Latest posts

Back