help me wire this system

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frodo

Reaction score
my goal is to control a circ pump using a 3 way switch in the bathroom
that will turn on the pump when the light is turned on
sounds simple enough.
but, I want this to happen in 2 bathrooms and the kitchen
will you please draw the wiring in
all wires will be 12 g with a ground

,,,,,.jpg

Last edited:
That is a good one.
Are they all on the same circuit?
The problem as I see it is all lights come on together.
Might need a relay of some type on each of the lights.

Or put the pump line to motion switches in all three bathrooms
They would pick up the motion and can be set to turn off a set time after you leave the room. Will work with out the light turned on. and will not effect any lights.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...upancy-Detector-White-R02-IPS02-1LW/203826482

Last edited:
Unless you want all the lights on at the same time you will need some control circuitry with relays to turn on the pump.

No one has offered a circuit yet??

Frodo

Please spell out in more detail what you are trying to do.

My understanding is you want a pump to come on whenever you turn one of the 3 switches on and you want it to stay on until the light is shut off. Or more correctly all 3 lights are shut off. If any one, two or three of the lights is on the pump runs and when all three are off the pump stops?

Are all three rooms and the pump all on the same side of the 120/240 feed? How much current does the pump draw?

I am assuming you would like to do this with conventional switches you can buy? Would you be opposed to some relay logic to do this if that looks like the best way? How would you feel about push button momentary contact switches?

Knowing the big picture will help in this case.

No one has offered a circuit yet??

Frodo

Please spell out in more detail what you are trying to do.

My understanding is you want a pump to come on whenever you turn one of the 3 switches on and you want it to stay on until the light is shut off. Or more correctly all 3 lights are shut off. If any one, two or three of the lights is on the pump runs and when all three are off the pump stops?

Are all three rooms and the pump all on the same side of the 120/240 feed? How much current does the pump draw?

I am assuming you would like to do this with conventional switches you can buy? Would you be opposed to some relay logic to do this if that looks like the best way? How would you feel about push button momentary contact switches?

Knowing the big picture will help in this case.

run a switch leg to each bathroom motion sensor switch for the pump.
don't have to mess with lights and stops even when some one left the light on all day.

run a switch leg to each bathroom motion sensor switch for the pump.
don't have to mess with lights and stops even when some one left the light on all day.

Put a float switch on whatever you are pumping and when it gets full pump it down.

Do you see any mention of a water heater in post #1?

So, even though a "circ pump" could be connected in a water system, it could also be connected in a sewage evacuation system.

So, do you see a water heater in post #1?

So, even though a "circ pump" could be connected in a water system, it could also be connected in a sewage evacuation system.

So, do you see a water heater in post #1?

Sorry, I will explain. For those with bigger house it takes a long time to get hot water into the far bathroom. Rich people buy in to the idea that the pump can run 24-7 until they get the bill for what ever the water tank uses.

So what they do is run a line from the hot water side of that bathrom back to a pump that puts the cold water back in the tank.

So once we find how expensive it is and we already have the pump in we look for tricks to run the pump just when we need it.

So Frodo will have his return line at the bathroom furthest from the tank and he wants a trick to turn that on from any of the bathroom.

A timer or motion sensor both work, but the timer you have to remember to turn it on before you pee.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJJ9f71ZSYc[/ame]

Last edited:
This is for a water heater circ pump.
I am leaning towards a low voltage system, even though in my first post I said 120
the reason why is regular residential motion sensors I do not think will hold up to the extra amps when the pump kicks on

24vac from a transformer to my motion sensors and use a 24vac coil relay. Easier to pull low voltage than line voltage.
can you guys tell me the correct transformer and coil relay?

If you don't mind all the lights on at the same time a 4 way switching circuit would do the trick with all on the same line. But someone in another bathroom could put you in the dark.

Sorry, I will explain. For those with bigger house it takes a long time to get hot water into the far bathroom. Rich people buy in to the idea that the pump can run 24-7 until they get the bill for what ever the water tank uses.

So what they do is run a line from the hot water side of that bathrom back to a pump that puts the cold water back in the tank.

So once we find how expensive it is and we already have the pump in we look for tricks to run the pump just when we need it.

So Frodo will have his return line at the bathroom furthest from the tank and he wants a trick to turn that on from any of the bathroom.

A timer or motion sensor both work, but the timer you have to remember to turn it on before you pee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJJ9f71ZSYc

Actually, I've installed a similar system in many regular folks homes and they simply operate off of a timer set to the needs of the residents and have no correlation to the lights, what-so-ever.

It's based upon on demand.

Actually, I've installed a similar system in many regular folks homes and they simply operate off of a timer set to the needs of the residents and have no correlation to the lights, what-so-ever.

It's based upon on demand.

Any idea on the sensor, relay and transformer, that he will need?

This is for a water heater circ pump.
I am leaning towards a low voltage system, even though in my first post I said 120
the reason why is regular residential motion sensors I do not think will hold up to the extra amps when the pump kicks on

24vac from a transformer to my motion sensors and use a 24vac coil relay. Easier to pull low voltage than line voltage.
can you guys tell me the correct transformer and coil relay?

Have you seen the Lobsters pump., under sink pump no return pipe and shuts it's self off when hot water arrives

Any idea on the sensor, relay and transformer, that he will need?

That system is not efficient or timely, in my opinion.

I prefer a timer set to the occupants schedule, so when you walk into any room with a faucet, you have hot water in 2 or 3 seconds, instead of waiting for an inderterminate period for the hot water to be recirculated.

That system is not efficient or timely, in my opinion.

I prefer a timer set to the occupants schedule, so when you walk into any room with a faucet, you have hot water in 2 or 3 seconds, instead of waiting for an inderterminate period for the hot water to be recirculated.

Yeah and there is never an outlet under the sink in a bathroom.
Sometimes the return line in a finished house is out of the question with out using an ax

Latest posts

Back