Foundation concern? How to fix?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
I recently purchased a camp cabin which is starting to show an in line crack, top to bottom. I’m concerned this is a structural issue since the cracks are in line and you can see it underneath the window as well.

Looking at the photo, the left side was built on an existing concrete slab and I’m not sure about the right (it’s not a traditional foundation, it’s a camp cabin.) On the outside, a crack has developed directly underneath the window in the first piece of siding. (The siding is that solid concrete type siding.)

So my questions. How concerned should I be about this? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1516566495.892454.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1516566506.345975.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1516566515.486379.jpg

I would be concerned. It seems like one foundation is more stable than the other. Did this show up after a freeze? Looks like a frost could have heaved the new and the old didn’t move.

Would need more details on how the two foundations were made, method of construction etc.

I don’t think your building will fall down or anything but it could be an on going problem.

In my house the previous owner enclosed a porch into a mud room that’s now heated like the house. The drywall between the two is always cracking when the freeze gets deep. I’m just living with it.

That could be your problem or others might have different ideas.

We actually have a problem similar to that at our Church. Crack goes through the family life center floor, and down the walls (poured concrete) in the basement. We patched the crack a few times, only to have it return after a winter's worth of freezing. We refer to it as the fault line. We finally put a trim board over the crack, floor to cieling, and painted to match the wall. Problem solved. Or more correctly stated, problem covered up. Not sure a fix that got to the core of the problem would be worth the cost.

Bud, it could have happened after a freeze. Weather here was very, very cold for a few weeks (single digit cold) and we have not been at this campsite for a few months.

I will be back up there this weekend and will try to get better photos of the foundation. I hope your theory is correct, better than the alternative.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Repair1517151673.325453.jpg
Well, it was raining this weekend, but did get one photo which now leaves me more confused. There is a concrete pad under the cabin and it appears either they (1) they simply used a 4x4 post on top of the concrete or (2) concreted around the post. I’m thinking it is the first one because I don’t see any concrete splatter around the post itself. Odd.

I wonder if they had a poured deck where the addition is now and then just built on top of it. you could take a jackknife and see if you can slip it in under the post, or a chisel and chip a little away and see if there is a post end there.

If it goes thru the slab then you have to wonder if there is a footing and if so how deep or did they build it like a pole barn and just frame it out above.

For sure there is some movement and most likely it will be seasonal. On the outside you could make sure the siding repair leaves a seam where it broke and inside a trim strip just attached to the one side or something like that.

Like I said I have a similar crack in our mud room and this old guy I know keeps wanting me to dig down 5’ and put a footing. I keep telling him I will live with the crack unless it gets worse.

Doesn’t look like they left you a lot of room to crawl around under there.

If it was frost damage localized you should see cracks in that concrete. Or proof of movement in some of those posts.

I believe the issues is the right side of the cabin (looking at it from the front) was built on an existing slab of concrete intended for a parked camper. The left side is actually built on posts. The original builder didn’t put a solid foundation underneath the entire cabin which is a PITA to deal with now. Since the cabin is built on the ground, there’s no easy way to lift it and do it right I don’t think.

The cabin framing looks well built with PT lumber and joist hangers but I'm guessing they did exactly what you said and skimped on digging a foundation for the post(s). I would just live with it and try to repair it as best as possible, I've used a flexible caulk in joints like that and painted over it which seems to work for a longer time.

Too early to get excited, keep an eye on it. They leave a gap in hardy seams now to allow for expansion and contraction.
I had a house where 2 sections of foundation where not tied together and the doors got jammed every winter and worked fine in the spring.

Too early to get excited, keep an eye on it. They leave a gap in hardy seams now to allow for expansion and contraction.

They left gaps in the Hardi Board as shown in the other courses. This piece just happened to fall right over the crack. Should be fine.

Latest posts

Back