Where can I find a tool like this?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
This is a handle with detachable blade that you attach Sawzall blades to. I bought this one at Lowe's, but it's a POS.

Do you know what this tool is called or Where I can get another one?

0121181756.jpg

What is it your really trying to do with it?
If it's cutting out sheetrock an oscillating saw will do a far better job, less dust and wall damage.
Plus it can be used for a whole lot of other jobs no other tool will do.

What is it your really trying to do with it?
If it's cutting out sheetrock an oscillating saw will do a far better job, less dust and wall damage.
Plus it can be used for a whole lot of other jobs no other tool will do.

Probably not drywall, although I will have that option. But I already have a drywall knife.

Probably mostly thin wood, like paneling or cabinets. Also could be used for thin metal pipes, PVC, etc.

I refer to it as a jab saw and found the milwaukee brand to be very good.
comes with the twist blade lock.
It might not be the tool as much as it is the type of blade that is used in it.
Fine tooth blades work best as it is a manual tool and course blades will give you more resistance.

I refer to it as a jab saw and found the milwaukee brand to be very good.
comes with the twist blade lock.
It might not be the tool as much as it is the type of blade that is used in it.
Fine tooth blades work best as it is a manual tool and course blades will give you more resistance.

But it's Sawzall blades, right?

There are special drywall blades made in the 'sawzall' type though the usual 'jab' or hand-held drywall saw will work better. On the rare occasion where I want to use a sawzall blade by hand I just clamp it in vise-grips. If that's not good enough I go to the truck and get the sawzall which is the correct handle for this type of blade.

A good alternative here is a folding pruning saw :thbup:

Phil

I often buy a cheap version of the tool to see how much I really use and how much it is really worth. Sounds like this one is a dud if it can't do the job or if it is more frustrating than it's worth. As was said above, use the sawzall when you need it and use a wallboard saw when you're cutting drywall.

I have the Milwaukee Jabsaw (I think I got it on ebay because i saw it for $5 shipped free a couple of years ago) and I like it in a pinch. I mostly use it as a hacksaw in tight spaces where I either am worried about damaging something (cutting toilet flange bolts), or when its just not worth getting out something that I have to plug in (cutting a couple nails that I didn't notice while I'm hanging drywall). Work good and I always have extra reciprocating saw blades that I can use. That sail like other people have mentioned I wouldn't recommend using it with really long demo blades.

Latest posts

Back