Circa 1840 Home/Good shape/ but work to be done

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I've moved to an older home (circa 1840) and retired, as of last month (October 2007).

Currently I'm teaching myself how to use a simple CAD program (TurboCad Mac) to draw up my home and inventory what must be done.

The home is sixty-six feet long and the back half is over a crawl space. This back half is divided up into small spaces on both the first and second floors.

I don't like the piecemeal leveling I see in the crawl space, but although it is not too un-level, I'd still like to systematically level up the beams and the floor joists before modifying the rooms above.

Likely I'll have most of the work done by contractors, unless my confidence is raised considerably.

This home is in Canandaigua, New York.

Welcome and congratulations on your retirement. You have an ambitious project, but we'll help as much as we can. Don't hesitate to post photos of your project, too, as it progresses.

Welcome Lloyd Peterson:
It would be worth the money to have a contractor to do the leveling. The safety factor is terribly high on such work. Make sure the contractor has Worker's Compensation and public liability insurance before they begin work.
At the very least, you will probably have cracks in your walls, ceilings and roof. While, at the very worst, a worker could have a part of the house collapse and kill him/her.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back