I think that I have some mold or mildew in my basement. i have been ripping out walls and insulation there is a black discoloration on the insulation and on the studs but there is not any build up has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem at all and if so how should i clean the mess or is removing the insulation and paneling enough? thanks for your help
Welcome KC from SC:
Some insulation has some small amount of tar in the vapor barrier which will bleed through after several years and get on the studs. Heat a spot of it with a hair dryer and see if it runs OR put a drop of bleach on it to see if it turns white right away. White means mold or mildew (practically the same) running means tar.
Merry Christmas KC
i put bleach on the black spots but it did not turn white nor did the hair dryer make it melt, keep in mind there is no build up at all it just looks like its made there. the insulation did have black discoloration on the sides at the studs. thanks for your help
I think you're probably okay as long as the area in question is not subject to moisture. On the other hand, cleaning the area with a water/bleach solution as a precaution won't hurt anything. Use your best judgement and thanks for keeping us posted.
this is in the basement and subject to mositure. i did find this cleaner/preventer at HD for $30 that covers 500 square feet so i think i will get that and give it a try just spray and walk away. now that is what i like.