DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > another newb who needs help

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2007, 08:40 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
Default another newb who needs help

my house was built in 1900. i dont know when the basement was added, maybe in the '50's, unsure. anyway, where i have joists above the basement window, they sag. there is absolutely NO support. in the research i have done, i have noticed that most homes have a sill house does not. it seems as though they just built the foundation walls and set the house on them and hoped for the best. i try to look at other homes that appear to be the same age as mine, but you cant really tell anything unless you can get right up to it and look at it. i have asked some people, they have said to get a piece of angle iron to place between the sill (which i dont have) and the bricks. when i look at brick buildings i see the iron on top of the windows. i want to fix it myself, but i need help. i have some ideas, im just wondering if anyone has encountered the same problem as me and if they have any pointers. please take a look at the photos. im trying to show the amount of sag with my finger. thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	405   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	406  
j.a.neil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:41 AM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,990
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Welcome J. A. Neil:
You need a 4 X 6 and 2 basement jacks. Put the 4 X 6 across the floor joists with a basement jack at each side of the window, about a foot from the end of the joists. Raise the joists 3/8" off the wall and insert the angle iron upside down, making sure it has at least 8" of bearing on the wall on each side of the window.
Now go upstairs and see if there is too much of a hump in the floor where there used to be a sag. If there is too much of a hump; remove the angle iron and cut the 3/8" off the bottom of the joists ( a recriprocating saw works well in this case). Then replace the angle iron and let the jacks down.
Thanks for the pictures, they make it soooo much easier to answer the question. Maybe you can get a couple of after pictures too.
Happy New Year!
glennjanie is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
newb been lurking and reading have question georgeh75 Framing and Foundation 5 10-25-2008 03:29 PM