DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Help finding recessed lights

Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 AM  
knlsand

Default Help finding recessed lights

I seen part of a program where they were installing cans for recessed lighting in new construction. What I thought made them so nice was, they are installed even with joist so you can drywall over and cutout holes later. Has anyone out there seen these? The people I have talk to think im nuts.
Hope you guys can help,
Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You will find in new construction that drywallers mark the location of the boxes and then router them out later. Is this what you mean?

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 PM  
knlsand

No thats not what i mean. The only ones i seem to find out there have a small flange and requires a cutout to be made before totally securing drywall.
These have no flange so you could actually finish the ceiling totally then come back and make cutouts.
Hope that makes more sense.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:20 PM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The pot lights I see up here have a flange that fits on with springs after the drywall is finished.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 01-13-2008, 01:40 PM  
booft

Anyone have pictures of this, I kind of know what you mean, I think but still unsure a little bit. I might be thinking of something else though too.

[url=http://www.learnhowtoplaster.com] Learn How To Plaster[/url]
Run By Plasterers For Plasterers
Time Served Spreads Ready To Help

Old 01-13-2008, 04:36 PM  
knlsand

Maybe im using the wrong terms, sorry if im driving you guys crazy. Lets start over.
The housings that get mounted to the joists dont have a ring that sticks down. These are mounted even with the botton of joist allowing you to cover with drywall and cutout hole at a later time. Im not sure they could be something new.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:29 PM  
ToolGuy

I wouldn't know where to find them, either now or when it came time to do the cutouts.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

Old 01-15-2008, 05:42 AM  
speedy petey
Lic.Electrical Contractor

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You are talking about Lightolier 1XXX series. They are exactly as you describe, and yes, they are nice for the reason you state. It is rare to have the rock all messed up around them since there is no flange to deal with.
Just cut them out IMMEDIATELY, or you WILL lose one every now and then.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:33 AM  
ToolGuy

Of course, since most layouts are evenly spaced you can always measure to find one that had it's pencil mark mudded over.

I've personally never happened into these flangeless cans but I've been thinking about it and I like the idea. when I use my rotozip to cut around the flanges there is little room for error, as the thickness of the bit riding on the outside of the flange makes for a hole just slightly smaller than the finish ring. Every time the rotozip decides to follow it's own path (and it sometimes does), I end up with a few cutouts that need a little extra attention when mudding the room. But if I'm cutting inside the perimeter of the can, the cutout is no larger than the inside of the can. Also, I don't thing the rotozip could take off on it's own if it wanted to.

I'm sure it doesn't make a difference to the client (I'm a contractor), as long as the lights are of a good quality and offer a reasonable selection of finish rings. But if the contractor is choosing the cans to be used, these seem like a really good, time saving choice.

I don't do anything electrical anymore, but I still like to know what excellent products are out there. Thanks for starting this topic.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]~ ToolGuy ~[/B][/COLOR]

[I]Save money on tools at [URL="http://mytoolbox.net"]MyToolbox.net[/URL]
[/I]

Old 01-15-2008, 09:26 PM  
guyod

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just installed my first cans last week. they sounded like the type knlsand was talking about. you installed it flush with the rafters/joists and once you cut out the hole there was screws you loosened to drop the can flush with the drywall. got them at lowes. maybe there all like that i dont know. is it important that can be dropped flush with the drywall? i installed them in a drop ceiling so it didnt matter .
i used my rotozip like tool guy said first time it actually worked like it was suppose to in a ceiling tile.

Quick Reply