DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Painting a wall with an uneven surface

Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 PM  
Genelle

Default Painting a wall with an uneven surface

My walls are wallboard with the orangpeel finish and with rounded corners. I want to paint them, but the paint bleeds over the painter's tape, even when I am extremely careful. What am I doing wrong? Is there some kind of sealer or something that I should apply first? It seems that the paint always seeps under and around the tape. Please let me know. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM  
Kerrylib

two things:

I think is called burnishing the tape. Go over the tape w/ a narrow putty knife to press it down tight to the surface and follow all of the contours of the texture. This is imperfect at best. I would bet you still end up w/ paint "wicking" under the tape.

Probably your best option will be to get really good with a cut in brush. Get a HIGH QUALITY 1" beveled end brush and start practicing painting right up to the edge of your trim, corners, etc. Unless you are completely unable to still a shakey hand, you'll be surprised how quickly you will get the hang of it and be able to paint right up to a piece of trim without actually getting paint onto the trim. If you use latex paint, you will also be able to wipe off any little mistakes with a wet rag right away.

I'm sure others here can give you pointers on the technique. I've managed to get good enough for my needs on my own, so I don't really have a good description of how I do it, I just do. If that makes sense.

Good luck

Old 02-10-2008, 06:48 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Try painting from the tape to the wall instead from the wall to the tape, that way, the paint won't be pushed under the tape.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:47 PM  
movado

Overlap paint then put the tape on and paint over the tape with first color let dry them pain the second coloer. Walaaaa Take tape down and what you get is a straight line! Painting over the tape with original color fills in the gaps where paint can get under the tape sealing it off resulting in a straight line when putting second color on.

[URL="http://interior-painting-diy.blogspot.com"]Interior Painting DIY[/URL]

Last edited by movado; 03-18-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:29 PM  
glate

Default Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by movado View Post
Overlap paint then put the tape on and paint over the tape with first color let dry them pain the second coloer. Walaaaa Take tape down and what you get is a straight line! Painting over the tape with original color fills in the gaps where paint can get under the tape sealing it off resulting in a straight line when putting second color on.
This worked like a charm. Thank you so much for the great suggestion.

Here is the finished product:

Old 03-25-2009, 01:33 PM  
glate

Default Fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movado View Post
Thanks so much for your tip, the results were better than I ever could have imagined.

I would highly recommend this trick to anyone who is painting textured and/or plaster walls.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:00 AM  
joenusz

Just another tip - 3M sells a green masking tape used for lacquer. It is so sticky and solvent resistant that I haven't been able to bleed under it. If there were no texture, however, Shurtape Razors Edge tape or 3M Delicate Surfaces Blue tape is designed for no bleed under.

Quick Reply