Desperate Mom needs HELP!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather Craig

Reaction score
Ok..I rented this house that was not what they said and I can't get out of the lease!! My son is sleeping on the floor because they told me that the basement only needed carpet to make a bedroom for him!! The walls are only partially done. They won't do ANYTHING to help. I can't afford to do it...so my son who is 9 is left sleeping on the living room floor. My question is this...I live in the denver area. Any ideas on where I can get REALLY cheap drywall or even donated Drywall (that would be best since I have no money to spend on this project) so that I can cover up the insulation and make my son a room? Even carpet scraps. I would staple up carpet to the wood beams..I have checked Craig's List and done searches but have come up with nothing. just moved here and I have not been able to gain employment (not for lack of trying). I can do the work, just can't afford the material. Any suggestions from anyone? Much appreicatied!! Heather

Look up the contact info for the nearest chapter of Habitat for Humanity.

They often have Resale Stores where material is less expensive---and possibly can arrange some assistance.

There are also other organizations like Christmas in October that assist low income families.

My suggestion - Post the message above on Craigs list - what you need and your circumstances. Maybe you even have a skill you can barter for someone to install sheetrock - such as maybe cleaning etc.
Also looking into some type of Fair Housing Laws within the local government -to help you perhaps get out of your lease -

Call the local code authority and health agencies........tell them you rented a house with glaring code violations and ask them to come inspect.

Your landlord is bound by that lease too.....to provide a place that is livable.
He will either fix it or agree to cancel the lease ( if you want to cancel ).

Also, see if you have a local free legal aid.

You shouldn't HAVE to be the one fixing up the place....that is what your rent is for....you need to take a more aggressive course of action toward the landlord.

definitely call the city's building department and report these problems.
the dwelling should be up to date on all codes, and if not, the owner would have to pay for correcting any issues.
call today!!
Just noticed the date on this post is a bit old.
I hope she found some help.

depending on circumstances, it may or may not be your landlord's responsibilty. you now the whole verbiage thing. I will work for a good meal if you suply materials (which I get at wholesale) and I'm local to you. I am skilled in the finest of construction trades and would be glad to help if you need it, I have a little guy too, although he has a three thousand dollar crib, anyway, call me anytime 303.339.0683, I'm not creepy. :)

Back