Help me choose a reciprocating saw

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hacksaw

Home disrepair guru
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just your garden variety weekend warrior home improvement type. I don't really need professional quality tools in order to make a living, but I also refuse to buy cheap tools as I'd rather pay a little more for quality and get the job done right the first time and not have to replace tools frequently. So while I don't necessarily need top of the line, I don't mind spending what it takes to get a good tool.

I'm in the market for a reciprocating saw and have it narrowed down to two manufacturers (Milwaukee and DeWalt), but would like some advice. From what I've looked at, I think I'd be comfortable somewhere in the $150-200 range.

First of all, corded or cordless? The portablilty and freedom of a cordless is attractive, but I don't want to run out of juice in the middle of projects.

Secondly, which models of each would you recommend.
10 amp, 11 amp, 13 amp?
orbital, non-orbital?
DeWalt has a 4 position blade which seems nice, but Milwaukee has a model with a 360 degree rotating handle.

Can anyone help out?

My first buy would be a Bosch, cordless. I like cordless because I am a contractor. You would have to buy batteries and pay $80.00 and up when they die out. And if you only have 1 it is a pain.
For the amount a DIY er does work with a sawzall, get a cheap one.
The Milwaukee corded is your best buy, my buddy has a dewalt that just fell apart. The plastic housings are garbage.
Just my 2 cents. I have owned em all.:)
I still have an oooooold Rockwell...the dinosaur still roams.

Sorry, Inspector, I have to disagree. I LOVE my DeWalt cordless. I've been using it at work every day for five years now and it is still going strong-with the original batteries. It has more power than my Milwaukee corded sawzall.

I will agree though, that Bosch tools are very good, too. Just don't buy Milwaukee. The batteries are junk and don't last, IMHO.

Milwaukee corded
Dewalt cordless

I agree with inspectorD that Bosch makes good tools but they're not quite as popular as Dewalt so they're a little more expensive.

Based on the responses and some online reviews I found, I think I'm going with a Milwaukee corded. As far as features, do I go with the basic 6509 model (just under $100, 11 amp, non-orbital, 7 pound tool weight) or with the 6523 super sawzall (around $160, 13 amp, orbital action, 360 degree rotating handle, 10 pounds).

I like the lighter weight of the 6509, and for home diy use I don't think I'd miss the extra 2 amp difference. Since both will take a blade upside down, the rotating handle wouldn't be a huge benefit. The question is, how important is orbital action?

Go for the Super Sawzall. I don't think you will be sorry.
Glenn

The orbital just takes more out during a cut. It is really a good feature and the super duper one is a nice DIY tool.
Spend the extra dough and go for one with the swivel head, it makes some jobs easier.
Me ...I could cut upside down and backwards with one hand holding me from falling 30 feet...in a blizzard. So I go cordless, less of a shock.:D

Latest posts

Back