Support Beams

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amherman

Reaction score
I am very new at all of this, so please bear with me. I have lived in my home for 7 years now, it was built in 1958 and everything has been fine until about 8 months ago. I noticed in my bathroom that there was a "small" gap between my baseboard and my floor, my brother said that my support beams needed "extra support" but did nothing to help. Now 8 months later I have about a 3 inch gap in my bathroom; my floor is slanted in there as well as coming down my hallway and living room there is about 1/2 inch gap between baseboard and flooring. My questions: 1) Is it now to late to add the extra support? 2) What do I need to get (I have heard of "floor Jacks")? 3) Where do I need to go to get what I need with out being taken? I am single and have no help in this matter, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. The house is 960 sq ft, one floor ranch style home.

Welcome AMHerman:
We are happy to have you join us. Now, lets see what we can do to remedy the situation.

First of all, you need a black plastic cover on the ground below your house (I didn't see any mention of a basement). The plastic will make it much easier to work around under the house.

Second, you will most likely find a place where the Plumber cut a floor joist into for his pipe to pass through. The other joists around it can't keep bearing the extra weight, so it is sagging.

You will need 4 pieces of 4 X 6 about 16" long to lay on the ground (use treated lumber and it will be fine on the plastic), 2 pieces of 4 X 6 about 4' long for beams to go across 3 or more floor joists, placing one beam on each side of the cut; rent 4 jacks that you feel you can handle under the floor.

Place the 2 beams up against the floor joists (hang them with plumber's roll and roofing nails), place the 4 blocks under or near the ends of the beams, set the jacks and start raising each of them a little at a time (you will need someone inside to watch for the right height). When you get the right level and are satisfied, cut pieces of 4 x 4 or 4 X 6 for posts tightly fitted and remove the jacks.

Please let us know how it works out for you and maybe send some pictures of before and after.

Glenn

Latest posts

Back