Need some Help - New Home Owner =(

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lulobster

Reaction score
Well I've pulled enough hair out of my head, and wasted enough money but it came down to ripping the walls down in some of the rooms in my home. First, its the hallway / bathroom walls. they were cracking!

i need some help thou, the old walls were made from concrete/plaster which is HEAVY to get rid of.

before

n536004144_513275_3119.jpg

after

n536004144_513279_4306.jpg

should i remove those small pieces of wood and leave the 2x4's?

also, there is 1 2x4 there that is bulking and it sticks out a bit and pushs the wall out. i want to remove this and replce it. will this be bad if i remove it, will the ceiling come down!? lol. if so, do i place one and then remove the old one?

i need so much help =( i wish someone lived in nyc.

Welcome Lulobster:
I would not recommend tearing out any more plaster, it is a tough wall and very repariable. You have already found out how durable it is by tearing the one wall off. You could chage the bowed stud out or you can put another in beside it after you cut half way through the bad one and bend it to the new one.
I have even seen plaster patched up with sheetrock compound which made a real nice looking job. I checked a few years later and heard that it was still holding.
Glenn

Thanks glen. im hoping to rip out the old one and replace it with a new one. i really want to do a good job on this one.

Whats behind that wall? keep in mind that new 2x4 will be 1/2 smaller and will have to be padded out. i would put a straight against the bowing 2x4 mark the part bowing out and cut it off with a saw. dont worry about structural integrity it will still be stronger than any 2x4 you can find at your lumber yard.

Im with glenn... restoring cracks in plaster is the best thing to do. plaster walls are much better than drywall and will outlast it by 100 + years.

I also agree with the other 2 posts...restoring cracks in plaster is the way to go

Back