DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Opening an exterior wall?

Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 PM  
TaskBoy

Default Opening an exterior wall?-photo added

I plan to install a bath fan duct thru a dropped ceiling space between the first and second floors. I shot some digi cam pics to see what was up there. It's a three foot distance to the exterior wall from the fan's hole. At the wall, I can see what I believe to be the top plate and the rim joist on top of that.

What is the least impactful method to make sure I am opening the right spot (thru the middle of the rim joist)? I will have to do it from the stucco outside. I was thinking of measuring as best I could and then drill a small hole like 3/8 or so (big enough for light to shine thru), then sight it from inside the space inside the house. If I'm off, I figure a hole like that can be easily caulked and patched. Thoughts?

Also, what is the best way to get thru the stucco and the rim joist for the 4.5 inch hole needed (4-inch duct)? Hammer/chisel then recip saw, or ? Thanks!

Here's a pic of the site:

The rim joist is the second joist in back (you can barely see its bottom edge), the question marked wood is the top plate, sound right?

Last edited by TaskBoy; 05-14-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: photo added

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Taskboy:
I would cut the hole from the outside because it will be easier to control the damage to the stucco. Yes, the hammer, chisel and recirpocating saw would be the tools of choice. The center of the rim joist also sounds like the best location.
Glenn

Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You could use a masonry drill bit to get through the stucco. Drill holes close together just inside the outline of the hole. Then the hammer and chisel will work much easier A reciprocating saw in that tight radius will not work very well.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Quick Reply