DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > DW & GD wiring

Old 05-14-2008, 11:12 PM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax
Default DW & GD wiring

another question while I have computer access.... I wired my dw to a gfci and from there ran wire to a switch for the GD and then the GD to the switch... no power though.... this is what i am thinking....
I understood that line out was to protect circuits downstream.... but I was readin more on here... and it talks more about other receptecles.... so... should I have had the power into the load and the switch out from line? I believe I have it the opposite way... (this is something I am checking along with the light in my other post, sometime over the next few days) I belive that line from the wall is in the line position and that I have the line to the switch in the load position with the dishwasher plugged into the gfci and the dishwasher wired to the switch......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 05:55 AM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Line = In from breaker
Load = Out to other devices

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 05-15-2008, 02:25 PM  
shan2themax

I actually had it wired correctly... I moved the dw out from under the counter a little bit so that I could see the gfci and saw that it was just tripped..... so... they are both working well... (and now I have a little bit of an ego that I did it right the first time... heheheh)
see... you guys have taught me well

Old 05-15-2008, 03:07 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Way to go Shan!!!!
One little caution though, electric motors such as in your dishwasher will sometimes trip a GFCI every time they kick on.
We are proud of you.
Glenn

Old 05-15-2008, 03:23 PM  
shan2themax

glenn... I did read that... and i would like to maybe put the receptacle where I can see it better without moving things... but I just do not want to at this point) only because I am burnt out

Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 AM  
Parrothead

Likes Given: 1

Just a silly question- why do you have the dishwasher GFCI protected??? You don't need to do that. It will probably lead to a lot of nuisance tripping. The only receptacles in a kitchen that are required by code to be GFCI protected are the ones serving the countertops.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:42 PM  
shan2themax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
Just a silly question- why do you have the dishwasher GFCI protected??? You don't need to do that. It will probably lead to a lot of nuisance tripping. The only receptacles in a kitchen that are required by code to be GFCI protected are the ones serving the countertops.
Because it is near where water comes in for the dw and makes me feel more secure......... (and pretty much where I live not much code exists.....)

Old 05-18-2008, 10:09 AM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Put in a GFCI breaker instead or find another receptcle closer to the breaker and easier to check and reset. Who wants to be pulling out the dishwasher to check a GFCI.

Quick Reply