tree as flower pot? would this hurt/kill it?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philphine

don't give him tools!!!
Reaction score
there's a maple (i think?) tree in my front yard that has a big knot hole in it, about 6" wide and maybe a foot deep. the tree seems fine as best i can tell. it's been that way since i moved there about a year and a half ago.

anyway, i keep thinking it would be neat to fill the hole with dirt and grow something in it. like a maple tree with this weird rose bush or dwarf fruit tree growing out of it or something else equally strange.

***hmmm... maybe even glue a fake eye ball to it and throw some old tennis shoes up in the branches and tell the neighborhood kids the tree eats things at night so they better stay away..." oh yeah. see that eye ball and those shoes? that's the kid y'all thought moved away last summer."***

so would it hurt the tree? if not, is there some plant or another that might work best in the hole? thanks for any help (and not help like which hospital to check myself into).

Hey Philphine:
A small plant would not hurt the tree at all; like a geranium which would bloom all summer. Picking the blossoms off as they mature will quicken the new blossoms to replace them.
Glenn

Back