DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Toilet Whistle

Old 06-25-2008, 04:10 PM  
neral1

Default Toilet Whistle

Can anyone give me an answer: My problem my flush makes whistling sound when I use the toilet, at time it increases and sometimes no whistle? Whats happening?

Please help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2008, 05:49 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Neral:
The whistling sound is because of a restriction in the water supply. It works just like you puckering your lips to whistle.
If the whistle is at the moment of flushing there may be a bowl cleaning chunck lodged in the inlet. I do not approve of bowl cleaners/deodorizers that have to be hung in the tank, they give this sort of problem all too often.
If the whistle is while the tank is filling there may be a supply line of copper that was cut and not reamed; the same problem, it makes like a pucker.
Another thing you may need to check is the cut-off valve at the wall. It has a rubber washer in it that may have broken and is lodged in the supply line.
It may also be a problem in the ball-cock valve which you may need to change out.
Please let us know how it comes out.
Glenn

Old 06-26-2008, 04:18 AM  
neral1

Default Thanks

The whistling sound is when the water/tank starts to fill.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 PM  
majakdragon

Sounds like a fill-valve problem. May be calcium deposits blocking the flow. I would recommend replacing the valve. I use Fluidmaster 400A valves. Less than $10 at most Home Centers and hardware stores. While you have the valve disconnected, hold a rag over the top of the supply tube and turn the supply valve on and off 2 or 3 times. This should clear any blockage in the valve or supply tube. If you have the "ball type" fill valve, the Fluidmaster will eliminate it. Keep the (extremely simple) installation instruction since they also contain trouble shooting info for the future.

if you have never made a mistake, you probably haven't done much.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:03 PM  
gallo_gun

I agree with majakdragon completely, it is the fill valve I have many calls about whistling toilets where I work at and eliminating the ball-cock fill valve and replacing it with a fluidmaster should work. They are very easy to install

Check out my blog yO

[URL="http://howtobeahandyman.blogspot.com/"]hvac to plumbing walkthroughs[/URL]

Quick Reply