DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Cutting hole and adding screen to solid door?

Old 08-11-2008, 05:24 PM  
Alabaster

Default Cutting hole and adding screen to solid door?

I have a baby on the way and would like to turn the top half of her nursery door into a screen. (To allow heating and AC into the nursery--it has no vents--and to keep the cats out).

I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the top panel of the door and installing a screen, but I have no idea how to do this -- how does the screen mount to the door? Do they sell custom-sized screen frames to fit into the hole, or do I just nail/staple the screen onto the door (and then attach some kind of trim to cover the sharp edges?)

Alternatively, where can I find cheap custom-sized screen door kits, preferably with wood on the bottom 1/3rd or so to prevent climbing/scratching cats?

Thanks,
chris.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 09:24 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Alabaster:
It is possible to buy a half louvered door. I wonder if you want the screen for a visual also.
It is also possible to buy door inserts with louvers but I'm not aware of any with screen. To install a door insert; mark the outline of the frame, cut outside the lines with a utility knife to keep the veneer from splintering, put your circular saw on a thin piece of wood or paper to keep the sole plate from marking up the door, cut to the corners on top only with a circular saw and finish the cuts with a handsaw or sabre saw. The insert will have a half inch or so cover trim around the louver to hide small mistakes.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply