DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Wooden old house - Floor bowed upwards

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2008, 11:01 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1
Default Wooden old house - Floor bowed upwards

We have an older house, at least a hundred years old and the living room floor is bowed upwards by about 2" in the middle. A marble seems to stay fairly still when placed around the wall areas, so I guess the corners are fairly level. The floor is a hardwood block floor and has "valleys" between what are obviously joists under the middle part of the floor.
Some of the door frames are at a slope, but being wooden framed there is no apparent cracking anywhere. there is a huge beam that runs along the middle of the floor where the bowing takes place.
It is a two story house, with the main floor area being about 24x 24 (where the problem is.
I am assuming that the corners and outside walls can be 'jacked' up to alieviate the pressure in the middle. (I guess the central beam is grouded on something)
The question is, living in upper michigan I have no ballpark idea of the cost of the operation or any local contractors who (importantly) would be competant.
The ground goes from soil to solid rock in a matter of feet.
Any ideas?

Keigwyn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:05 AM  
inspectorD's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,467
Liked 258 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 739

Default Good luck

Old homes are just that, a piece of work to maintain.
You really need someone there giving it a look over. Old floors settle ,move ,shrink and get eaten by bugs. The other thing they do is give you a hard time when you raise them. Old wood has a thing called "creep" in which a bow will stay in the shape it has taken over the years.

Let us know how you make out.

Just My
Made in the
inspectorD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:46 PM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,990
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Welcome Keigwyn:
You can contact your local chapter of the Home Builder's Association and find a certified remodeler. To certify, they have to prove themselves and they must keep up continuing education to keep it.
glennjanie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 AM  
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 46

Bowed wood floors can be a sign of high humidity, probably coming from underneath. Do you have a basement or a crawl space?
In each case, I recommend you to detect and eliminate the moisture source, otherwise the problem will be coming back.
About finding a good contractor in Michigan, the attorney general's website has great information, tips and resources:,1607,7-...4670--,00.html

At the State's Dept of Labor and Economic Growth, you can verify your contractor's business reputation and license information, by typing in his state license number:

Hope it helps.
CyFree is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
House settling? USOB Framing and Foundation 3 11-18-2008 08:23 PM
Patio roof to house attachment question mobilemike Roofing and Siding 2 09-23-2008 07:31 AM
New foundation, old house Begreen Framing and Foundation 46 08-05-2007 12:19 PM
House On Slab Leaks NIGHTMARE Extrinsicdin Bricks, Masonry and Concrete 2 03-16-2007 04:07 PM
Leaking house on slab NIGHTMARE Extrinsicdin Framing and Foundation 2 03-16-2007 12:04 AM

Newest Threads