Tool Disappointment

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secure

Reaction score
I am sure, if you are anything like myself, that at some point in your life, you have bought some tool that you thought was going to be great, and it failed you miserably.

For example. The "Gator" socket was suppose to replace all of my socket needs. Now, what I have found in using it is that it IS good for certain things, but not for EVERYTHING!

The tool itself was a great concept! A socket full of hardened pins to conform around whatever you are using it on.

But I have found that it does tend to damage the heads of some bolts and screws (maybe soft metal?) and that it doesn't always get a good surface grip on the heads of others.

Overall, it can come in handy for simple tasks, but I still would not depend on this for serious projects. Not that it is a bad product, just not what I was led to believe it was.

Anybody else buy a tool thinking it was going to be "it" only to find "it" wasn't? Please post the experience. If nothing else you may save someone befuddled with advertising time and money.

Of course I too have the gator. I have it for a "just in case" tool for my quad 4x4. It goes into the woods with me., Along with the magnetic tipped interchangeable screw driver.:D
And my multi tool.;)
Everything has a one time purpose, you get what you pay for.:eek:

You know what I DID find the gator useful for? Because it tends to "slip" after a certain torque, but that torque range seems perfect for the oil pan drain plug.

It tightens it just enough, then "slips" which means I am not over tightening it, which I have a tendency to do. Which is why I never use an oil wrench, I have always used my hands to remove and tighten oil filters, never had a leak from sealing properly.

Most of the special wrenches from sears don't work like they claim

I bought a cheap torque wrench and just when I got to the recommended lb the threads stripped.

single-speed recip saw from a mall tent sale. cant recall the brand, but i picked up this cheap recip saw for 20 bucks. figured no more than i use one it would do. went to change the exhaust on the truck, halfway through cutting the old muffler out of the way the blade stops and theres this sound of gears stripping. got a porter-cable varible now. not quite a milwaukee, but a whole lot better than what i had. sometimes its worth it to pay more, even if its something that doesnt see much use. when you need it, you need it to work.

Back