DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > Appliances > General Appliance Discussion > Natural gas logs shut off soon after lighting

Old 01-11-2009, 12:16 PM  
cmjeffcoat

Default Natural gas logs shut off soon after lighting

For a while now, my ventless natural gas logs will only burn for a few minutes before shutting off. Any ideas???
C Jeffcoat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 03:37 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 134 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Default Well

Depending on the model, it could just be dirty. The CO detector will turn off the gas if it does not read any oxygen nearby. It is a safety so if to much carbon monoxide builds up, it will turn off the gas.
Or it could be your thermocouple.
Read your manual to find a solution.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-25-2009, 08:45 PM  
SublimeMasterJW

Default ODS secrets

I can tell you just what to do. The pilot safety feature has an ODS (oxygen depletion sensor) that detects low oxygen in the room. The problem is dust and cobwebs get into the ODS chamber and causes the problem you are describing. I have fixed many of these over the years using shop air or a straw or rust buster to flush the dust out. Rust buster is me fav. If you fiddle with the pilot flap it will get all outta whack and never work right. But if you squirt a little rust buster into the pilot light and let it dry a minute or 2 you can light the pilot and by gosh it will stay lit.

Last edited by SublimeMasterJW; 01-25-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Tags
gas logs

Quick Reply