DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Bathtub faucet issues

Old 01-29-2009, 08:17 AM  
Tess

Default Bathtub faucet issues

When you take a shower, more water comes out of the faucet then the shower. Do we need a new faucet/shower set or is there something wrong in the wall with the actual pipes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 PM  
Blue Jay

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Sounds like you need to replace the diverter spout. If it is a slip on type on the bottom next to the wall would be a slot that would have a phillips or allen head, just loosen that and work the spout off.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM  
riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
When you take a shower, more water comes out of the faucet then the shower. Do we need a new faucet/shower set or is there something wrong in the wall with the actual pipes?
Hi Tess,

I had the same problem with an older type tub with 3 handles near the tub outlet. The middle handle, the diverter, used to divert from the tub outlet to the shower, needed washers. That's the simple answer. Mine had other issues, too. Just replace the washers. I did the valve stems too. About $8 each for hot and cold, and $15 for the diverter.

Sometimes a special socket is needed to remove these. They're fairly cheap--a good hardware store should be able to help. I'm a BIG fan of my neighborhood store, as opposed to Osh, HD, etc. Find one you can trust, and that has good advice, and you'll save lots of time, and sooner or later lots of $!

If you have another type faucet you should say what you have so someone else can help.

Riley

Quick Reply