DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > Introductions > San Francisco Homeowner

Old 02-10-2009, 03:56 PM  
bmtea

Default San Francisco Homeowner

Hi everybody,

I'm glad to find this forum. This is exactly what I was looking for

My fiancee and I just bought our first home -- a Marina style two-level house built in 1928. It is a great house and everything is working inside, but some parts of it are dingy and will need some work.

I'm a pretty technical guy (software engineer) and never have trouble understanding things, but this is my first house, so maintaining and improving a house is a new territory to me. I don't mind doing smaller jobs myself, but I don't want to (that is, don't have the time to) become an expert carpenter / plumber / electrician etc. I will have questions about best practices and advice about repairs and improvements, so I know what I get myself into, and also educate myself so I can plan the work and talk to contractors.

Thanks to all the experts who are helping out on this site.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome BMTEA:
We are happy to have you. There are many DIYers who may have experienced the same things you will be faced with and will have some words of wisdom for you. Also, we have several professionals who have made their living solving the problems you may have and will be glad to help any time they are needed.
Glenn

Old 02-13-2009, 05:49 AM  
Eric

Hi -
I wish I could have afforded to Stay in the Bay Area to buy our first home. Instead my wife and I relocated to Austin. I think you and I are remarkably similar, as I am also a hand's on guy. Instead of a Software Engineer, I was a Biochemist, and I have no desire to become an expert, but really want to do a great job in making our first house our own.

Looks like we are in this together!

Old 02-18-2009, 03:43 PM  
pderas
Certified Kitchen Designe

Default Questions for New Homeowners

I am an independent residential kitchen designer in the San Francisco area.

I have a question for you new homeowners:

I have postulated, on my blog...

"there are a whole bunch of newly minted homeowners buying foreclosed properties at the new lower market prices, most of which need remodeling. Those new homeowners also have equity, because they had to pay substantial down payments to buy with credit frozen the way it has been.

That bodes well for the future of [professional] remodeling in the Bay Area."

Do you agree with this assessment?
If so, does it apply in Austin Texas and elsewhere as well?
If not. Why?

If you agree that you will be planning remodeling projects on your home in the future. How far out do you envision those projects being?

Thank you.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Pderas:
I am not a new home owner but I have been a remodeler and I can tell you, your market should be booming now in any part of the country. Many people are going to have to keep the paid off house they have and can update it for less cost than building a new one.
Another thing I experienced in many years of remodeling is that you don't have any competition. Sure there will be an occasional cat to come in way under your bid, that's time to ask the owner if he is confident they can even finish the job and pay the bills. Often that seed of doubt will turn them back to you.
One last thing, please read the Ten Commandments of Posting again.
Glenn

Quick Reply