DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > How to drill through brick?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 PM  
JohnHardy

Default How to drill through brick?

I want to add a hose bib water outlet to an outside brick wall. I need to drill a 1/2 inch hole straight through the brick (or a 1 inch hole if I go with a freezeproof outlet). What is the best way to drill the brick: straight through the center of a brick, or try to blast through a mortar joint? What size or type of drill and bit should I use? There is 15 feet of brick wall above the outlet location; not sure how this affects the weight bearing.

I'm fine with the plumbing, I've just never drilled through a brick wall. It is brick sheathing only, it's one brick thick attached to 2x4 stud wall. Thanks in advance for any advice...John Hardy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 AM  
yesitsconcrete

use a 1/2" drill ( a REAL 1/2" drill which turns at 550rpm ) & rent a diamond tipp'd core drill bit,,, you could also use a hammer drill w/carbide-tipp'd bit but may damage adjoinint &/or adjacent brick's solidarity & mortar adhesion,,, brick sheathing's only 1/4" thin-brick, brick facing's 1 solid brick thickness to me.

ps - neither will prompt your wall to fall down

Old 02-24-2009, 08:25 AM  
JohnHardy

Thank you, YIC.
I do indeed have brick facing; thanks for the explanation. I read about the bad effects of hammer drills on brick while reading other threads so I won't do that

Should I try to drill straight thru the center of a brick or try to go through a mortar junction? It seems like if I go through a junction, the bit is going to snag and get ugly in a hurry. I'm thinking I should center it on a brick and go with steady pressure until it finally bores through. Do you need any water in the hole for cooling of the bit? Thanks!

Quick Reply