DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > is my plywood salvagable?

Old 04-16-2006, 07:13 PM  
lizardqueen

Default is my plywood salvagable?

Hi All -

I'm replacing 12" ceramic tile in my kitchen. My fiance had my stepson rip up the old tile and told him not to worry about damaging the plywood because "we're just cementing over it anyway". Now there are some good-sized chips in it. And I'm having trouble scraping up the mortar without causing further damage. I'd rather not replace the plywood if I can get away with it, as I'm under the gun to get my house on the market. Can the chips be sanded or filled in? If so, does anyone have any helpful hints on how to get the mortar up? I just found out that there are such things as chipping hammers and power scrapers. My old man has an air compressor, so the chipping hammer might be an option. I didn't find out much about power scrapers. Are these suitable to use on plywood?

Thanks in advance for your constructive replies!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2006, 09:19 PM  
oldslowchevy

Send a message via Yahoo to oldslowchevy

would be nice to se a photo or two of the damage but if it is mosty just the top layerthen i would say it is fine but you might have ot get 1/4"backer board to go over the ply wood but i am not a tile man but i have done tile work but between the mortor and backer board you should be fine but if you have holes all the way though the plywood i would sujest getting a pro in there and give you some reconmmdations.this may not be the answer that you were hoping for but from 1900 miles away this is the best i can do

Old 04-17-2006, 07:36 AM  
CraigFL

You can buy "floor leveler" products which are put on as a heay liquid and will flow to fill in the holes/low spots. You should be able to use a chipping hammer to take off the morter. At some point it is going to be more economical timewise and effortwise to just rip up the old plywood and replace it.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:54 PM  
Tileman

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardqueen
Hi All -

I'm replacing 12" ceramic tile in my kitchen. My fiance had my stepson rip up the old tile and told him not to worry about damaging the plywood because "we're just cementing over it anyway". Now there are some good-sized chips in it. And I'm having trouble scraping up the mortar without causing further damage. I'd rather not replace the plywood if I can get away with it, as I'm under the gun to get my house on the market. Can the chips be sanded or filled in? If so, does anyone have any helpful hints on how to get the mortar up? I just found out that there are such things as chipping hammers and power scrapers. My old man has an air compressor, so the chipping hammer might be an option. I didn't find out much about power scrapers. Are these suitable to use on plywood?

Thanks in advance for your constructive replies!
You can not tile over the plywood, you need a backerboard and maybe some more plywood first, but from reading your other thread, I won't waste my time asking what you have for a subfloor.

Quick Reply