DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Crawlspace Vent

Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 PM  
Jason11

Default Crawlspace Vent

The house outside wall is some form of concrete and the vent was nailed into the wood frame of the house then the concrete was poured over the aluminum vent and the nails. So now i need to replace the vent but i cant get the nails out to remove the vent. I know i can buy a new vent at Home Depot but i cant get the the old broken one out. Any suggestions? heres a pic. Should i attempt to break the concrete or just try to use tin snips and pick and chew the old vent away leaving the nails (i cant get the nails out..or is there a way?) and then seeing if i can get the new vent in with the old nails there but i think that the old nails will probably be in the way.

by the way: the nail in the zoom is actually bent...It looks like its going in sideways but it actually is going straight into the house. It was hammered straight in before the concrete was poured. There are 4 nails but only one has been excavated into view.

the one on the right is the good one as an example

Last edited by Jason11; 05-06-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Jason:
I would just tear out the remainder of the old one and insrt a new one from inside. You would want to protect the bare wood then, with paint or aluminum.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply