Paint and Masking Tape calculator

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modhippee

Reaction score
Anybody knows of a good online paint and masking tape calculator so I can calculate my needs for the project. Or just give some rules of thumb?

Thx!!!

Aaron

Last edited:
Welcome Aaron:
Your paint dealer will be happy to help you with your estimates. Each can of paint has a 'rate of coverage range' printed on it with the maximum cover being on glass and the minimum coverage being on a sand finish plastered wall. You have to discern the smoothness of your wall and interpolate between the two figures.
I personally never use masking tape but rather, I use a 2 or 3" tapered brush to do my cutting in. With a little practice you can learn how to control the paint load and the movement of the brush to do the same.
Glenn

Most people do use a sash brush to do their cutting in.

I own a small apartment block, so I'm typically repainting apartments the same colour as they were before. If you're doing that, you can cheat by using a piece of sheet metal and a 3 or 7 inch paint roller to do your cutting in.

Just apply two widths of 3 inch painter's masking tape to one edge of a two foot long by 18 inch wide (or so) piece of galvanized sheet metal. Slightly bend the sheet metal into the corner to protect the side you don't want to get paint on, and spread your paint up to the sheet metal with the roller.

Don't start with a fully loaded paint roller near the sheet metal because if the roller is too full, it'll squeeze paint under the sheet metal so that it comes oozing out on the other side, getting paint all over the side you didn't want to get paint on. Load up your roller and start rolling about 12 to 24 inches away from the sheet metal and spread your paint up to the sheet metal.

And, when the painter's masking tape on the business end of your sheet metal gets all gunked up with partially dried paint, just pull the old tape off and put new tape on, and you're good to go again.

Don't buy regular masking tape because the glue on it can be too aggressive and pull the paint off the wall when you remove it. Buy painter's masking tape and press it down tightly on the edge immediately before painting over it.

Where I live, painter's masking tape comes in different widths, but it's always 55 meters in lenth, or 60 yards per roll. A meter is about 39 1/4 inches.

Last edited:
Back