DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > need help!

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 AM  
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1
Default need help!

I know this is probably a long shot, but I'm looking for a little bit of guidance. We are looking to buy our first home. We found a house that meets all of our requirements (3 bed, 2.25 bath, two stall attached garage, good neighborhood, close to both jobs) that was a foreclosure and the bank is asking only for what they lost. It's way less expensive than what we originally were budgeting to spend.

The only problem is that there looks to be a crack in the basement foundation. It's a split level built in 1978 with concrete block foundation and a finished basement. I can't see any bowing on the inside walls but I am no expert. The only indication is that there are cracks that have obviously been filled on the outside. My question is: Have these cracks (picture attached) actually been fixed? Or have they just tried to cover it up? If they just tried to cover it up how much would I expect to pay to have it fixed for real? We're trying to see if it would be more cost effective to buy a home that is less expensive than we can afford but needs some work put into it vs. a house that is right at our maximum budget price but needs no work.

This is the only part of the house that needs work (the deck is in rough shape,too), everything else is up to date.

Last edited by hopeless; 05-31-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added picture
hopeless is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:43 PM  
inspectorD's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,490
Liked 265 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 772

Default could be

You need a home inspection. The crack may be the least of your issues.
From what I can see in my adirondack may have an issue...or you may not.
What you are looking for is staining on the floor and around the wall area. Look for floor cracks and any cracks on an opposite wall.
There may be an easy answer, but hiring someone who looks at the issues and more is the only way to go when you spend money on a home.
Good luck.
Just My
Made in the
inspectorD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 AM  
Senior Member
handyguys's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 815
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Agreed - get a home inspection. If the owner (bank) may be selling "as is" and may not give you any $$$ allowances or discounts if something is uncovered by an inspection. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have one. You want to know what you are getting into. The cracking could be nothing to worry about, or, it could be a major headache.
The Handyguys Podcast
handyguys is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Newest Threads