DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Extending J channel or starter strip nail flange higher? Or short screws?

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:49 AM  
rerod

Default Extending J channel or starter strip nail flange higher? Or short screws?

I have a cantilever first floor which overhangs the basement 1 foot. The 70's home has old T1-11 siding which hangs 2 1/4" lower than the existing 3/8" plywood soffit nailed to the bottom of the joists on the exterior cantilever. My problem is that when I install my board and batten vertical vinyl siding, I need to have a J channel nailed on the bottom edge to recieve the B&B siding. The J channel will be 1/4" lower than the T1-11 to prevent water from wicking into the bottom of the T1-11 which positions the nails for the bottom J channel 1 1/4" above the bottom edge of the T1-11. These nail tips and the splinters they make will be in a area which can be seen when looking up into the cantilever soffit. Iv thought about making another soffit a few inches lower to hide these nail tips and splinters. But The project looks harder than expected because of the limited space and unlevel soffit.
My question.. Can I pop rivet a extender on the nail flange of this bottom J channel to move the nails higher so they dont penetrate below the existing soffit? And does vinyl coil stock exist to keep the materials expantion rate the same? Or could I use 5/8" flat head screws to mount the bottom J channel to the 5/8" T1-11 as not to penetrate the back side? Sorry my question is so long winded. But this is drivin me nuts as Im the home owner / jackleg who wont settle for jackleg results.

Thanks

Mike

cantilever2.JPG  

Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 AM  
oldslowchevy

Send a message via Yahoo to oldslowchevy

the easy way i have dealt with this was to rip down a 2x4 to the right size.once the wood is installed,break a piece of metal to wrap aroundthe t-111 under the bottom and up the back side of the new wood. i hope you understand what i mean.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:30 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 320

Default Easier...

Why dont you just cut the lip off? No need to extend anything.
Then paint the exposed wood to avoid wicking.

Done.

Just My
Made in the

Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've used pan head screws before. I just left them loose enough to move without binding. Worked out great!

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 04-26-2006, 09:39 PM  
Bridgewater

Rerod; I realy wish you showed the rest of the house.As was posted befor folks are saing they would eather fer out the soffit, or cut the lip off. I have done both. But it looks like a duplex. if your T1 11 spans all around your house you just might have to fer out the soffit to keep the low point with the rest of the house.

Be safe out there folks.
Bob B.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:23 AM  
rerod

Thanks all.

After looking closer at the cantilever soffit over the garage. Iv found it drops more than 1/2" over the door. So if I furr it I would have to shim and level it so it was level with the bottom of the outside wall siding. Pain in the a##. And I like the hollow look and dont want the soffit to stand proud or even flush with the bottom of the siding. When its hollow you cant notice the 1/2" drop up 2" inside the soffit.

So the 5/8" #6 stainless pan head screws sound like the best option. I will only use these short screws on the bottom J channel which recieves the board and batten vinyl siding so they dont penetrate the back side of the T1-11 in the cantilever soffit area. And use longer screws or nails everywhere else. Then I will cap or wrap the bottom edge of the T1-11 with matching coil stock up to the existing soffit since no nails will be poking through. Then install new soffit over the existing to keep that hollow look.

My only issue now it the diameter of the screw. Vinyl Siding Institute states to use a #8 panhead or sheet metal screws, but the diameter of a #8 (.164") is more than the nail slot in my siding (.150"). So Im deciding weather to enlarge the slot (take forever) or settle with a #5 or #6 screw.

Mike

penfrohouse.JPG   penfrohouse1.jpg   B&B.gif  

Old 04-27-2006, 12:43 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 320

Default Hmmm.

What about adding washers to the screw?

Just My
Made in the

Old 04-27-2006, 05:19 PM  
rerod

I tried a #8 screw. And even though the diameter of the threads are larger than the vinyl slot. It still slides back and forth easy.

inspectorD.. Take a look at the B&B picture. It lays almost flat on the sheathing compared to vinyl clapboard. So I need a head which doesnt stick out much higher than a nail. Sheet metel hex heads stand out to much IMO. So Im shopping for a #8 large head diameter SS panheads.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/tech/siding.asp

Looks promising

Thanks everyone

Old 08-12-2006, 08:38 PM  
MTCquality

Default F

Why cant you use F-channel? it is a standard soffit reciever and can be inverted to run nailer up... all you need to do is level back from your lowest point on the outside of the cantilever and and shoot a level line for your f-channel(up 1 5/8"). hang the f-channel nailer up and if there is gonna be siding behind it run it up first, rip it and notch it to allow expansion and then share the slots with the f channel.

thanks

MTC

Old 08-12-2006, 11:17 PM  
Bridgewater

Rerod did you get the job done yet and what did you go with?

Be safe out there folks.
Bob B.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply