Hey guys, please help me out. Glenn, you out there?
My HVAC unit completely stopped pushing air through the vents all of a sudden and its hot today!
1) noticed it was warm in my home.
2) checked thermostat and it is calling for cold air
3) checked for air flow at the intake/filter and there is none. filter is two months old and due for a change
4) went outside to check the blower unit (large box fan with cooling fins) This is turning and blowing air although it is not warm as should be.
5) looked down and saw 2 inches of ice on the small exposed part of the coolant line which feeds coolant to this outside unit. The ice had also split the rubber insulation on the line and it is iced over for about a foot.
6) went into the crawl space to check the unit under the house. THIS UNIT IS NOT BLOWING AIR THROUGH THE DUCTS. It is covered with condensation, also iced over heavily where the coolant line runs into it, the tray is full of water and there is a big puddle of water on the plastic underneath. The condensate pvc line has water in it and was draining okay I think, it has condensation on the outside of it. I did not take it apart to check.
My plan so far is to turn off the unit and let the ice melt, mop up the water and dry off the unit, replace the air filter and hope for a restart.
Any suggestions? ? ?