DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Plywood under Drywall? Any idea?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 AM  
istaruga

Default Plywood under Drywall? Any idea?

I just moved into a condo that was built in 2006. I recently hired an electrician to come install a recessed outlet in the middle of a wall to prep for a TV wall mount. When the electrician cut into the drywall to put the gangbox in, he found a sheet of 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick plywood behind the layer of plywood that he had to cut through. Does anyone know why that is? Behind the wall there is a staircase going downstairs to a side exit if that makes a difference.

We had difficulty locating the studs in the wall before we decided on the location of the outlet. How would I go about locating the studs without ripping down the entire wall? If this plywood sheet is along the length of the whole wall, is it strong enough to hold up a mount and 60 lbs? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 08:19 PM  
GBR

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sounds like a double shear wall, plywood or OSB on both side to prevent the wall (end of building) from racking and to transmit seismic forces safely. It may also double as a fire-wall between units. They sell toggle bolts for heavier loads, though I wouldn't trust OSB. Plywood, yes.
Be safe, Gary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply