from carpet to tile...or...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nouseforaname

Reaction score
hard wood flooring.

I recently bought a condo where the whole flooring is carpet. There is a section designated the "dining area" that is about a 10x10 or so area that I would like to get rid of the carpet and put in tile or hardwood flooring because I have a set of twins that are barely learning to eat so I foresee many spills and hours of clean-up.

Is cutting the carpet for that section a hard extensive process? How do I cut the carpet and put on a border on the cut edge? Basically I am looking for step by step instructions on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You would want to start out by first figuring out what you want to put down in its place, my personal choice would be hardwood mainly for looks and it is more forgiving when something is dropped on it. There are transition pieces available for finishing the carpet to wood intersections or the other option would be to cut the carpet longer than needed, install the hardwood beyond the carpet line by about 2 to 3 inches then get in touch with a carpet installer to come out and finish the edge by rolling the carpet under itself and fastening the edge down.

Latest posts

Back