DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > Wrong Size Cabinet Pulls

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 9
Default Wrong Size Cabinet Pulls

Hi Folks,

I'm updating our late 1980's kitchen, including refinishing the wood cabinet doors. The cabinet hardware is also worn out looking, especially the door pulls.

Since there are so many kinds of pulls available, I thought I could buy a bunch of replacements (there are 26 doors total). But to my surprise, the hole-to-hole measurement for these pulls is 2.5" or 64mm. Pretty much ALL of the door pulls I can find are for 3" hole spacing.

Here's what one of ours looks like:

I have found a very small assortment of 64mm pulls advertised online, but none of them look even close to the ones we have. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out so far who made these. One of our cabinets - a rotating corner turnstile - has an Amerock plackard inside. But Amerock doesn't have any 64mm pulls like these.

When I ask about these pulls, the typical reaction is disbelief. "All door pulls are 3 inches" is the typical response. But there are hundreds of homes in our neighborhood that were made by Pulte in the 1980s, and all of the ones we've been in appear to have the same style cabinets.

Anyone have an idea how to handle this? The thought of re-drilling all of these doors and covering up the old hole has occurred to me, but I'm not sure I could get away with it. I tried polishing up one handle, but the brass finish is worn off of many of them, leaving a dull pot-metal appearance. It's not an improvement.

Thanks for any ideas or pointers!

Scott C. in Cary, NC USA

ScottCh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Independence, KY
Posts: 2
Default Cabinet pulls

I don't see any way around having to drill new holes -- you're probably only going to be able to find 3" cc pulls or larger. However, you can avoid filling and refinishing the old holes by using back plates. Just google 3" back plates, you'll get all kinds of choices.
llroco is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Wrong Size Cabinet Pulls - Can Someone Help? ScottCh General Home Improvement Discussion 1 12-14-2009 03:50 PM
NEW Hidden Storage Cabinet (Ideal for use as a Medicine Cabinet) Hyde325 General Home Improvement Discussion 6 10-22-2009 10:08 AM
Need some Cabinet advice...I'm in Cabinet Hell The Remnant General Home Improvement Discussion 4 07-01-2009 05:39 PM
Jim was right, I was wrong. Nestor_Kelebay Flooring 1 05-06-2009 01:05 PM