DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Decorating and Design > Living room decoration & ideas

Old 01-03-2010, 04:07 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Living room decoration & ideas

I initially posted this thread as a reply in some other threads but since it wasn't exactly subject related, I thought to move it to a new thread....

Hey there! this is my second post, the first one was regarding painting tips, and I greatly appreciated the feedback, hence why I am re posting!

This time it is regarding my living room... This is not a very big room, and I have been looking at several options to decorate the space, and remove the "I just moved in" feeling.... Please note because I recently moved in, I still need to buy some light fixtures, a TV, sound system, and I am considering to replace the coffee table by a new, better looking table, and I am considering some ottomans... The love seat & chair could also go.

I attached a few pics for people to look at, and basically, I am open to any suggestions! (except tearing walls down...

I am looking for ideas on every aspects of the room. The mantle, the wall above the fireplace, the wall behind the loveseat, the other smaller walls, furnitures, etc.....

Somebody gave me the idea to install a wall mural on the wall behind the loveseat. I really enjoyed the idea and found a nice inspiration. This is a picture of a nebula, taken from the Hubble telescope. Basically, the mural would consist in 8 20"x20" frames, each frame would have a tile of the overall picture. The finished mural would be 80" wide x 40" high. This is pretty big, please look at the photoshoped picture for an "idea" of what it would look like once finished.

Please let me know your suggestions!! Everybody is welcome to reply and share their ideas!

Thanks

dscn2106.jpg   dscn2107.jpg   dscn2108.jpg   dscn2110.jpg   dscn21081.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 10:59 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 192 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Of course, you can go out and buy a furniture "set", but consider this; My uncle told me several years ago that he enjoyed browsing shops for a chair or sofa that caught his fancy. Then he would put it in his living room and sit in it and just look across the room until he imagined what would go good in this or that spot. Then he would go out searching for that piece. When he found it, he would repeat the process of putting it in place and then imagining the next piece. It took him a while to fill each room but each room took on a unique flavor and provided a creative opportunity for him.

BTW I like the mural. At first I thought 'uh-oh, what happens when you get tired of this big thing?' But I think the frames give it a nice proportion.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 AM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

thanks slownsteady for your reply! after all, I guess I cant go wrong taking my time to find what I really want... this is probably the road I will take.

It is always good to hear what people have to say!

also thanks for the comments on the mural!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:59 AM  
frozenstar

I must agree with slownsteady!

The murals is very nice and looks good on that side. I thought it was on the other part when I first saw it. Anyway, I am not really good on decoration but I think if you have some good photographs taken by you (if you love photography and happen to have some good shots.) can be printed and put it in a frame and hang it above your fireplace.

A big LCD TV I think suits well on that right side of the fire place with a wall mount.

Just some ideas in my head. Can't think of anything special right now because I only got 2 hours of sleep last night.

Good luck on your living room!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:07 AM  
anie973

Living room looks can be good with sofa sets, center table, TV Set and antique decoration pieces.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:21 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

frozenstar, that was exactly my idea! hang the TV on the wall above the wooden cabinet. the size of that wall space leave me with the possibility of a pretty decent LCD size.... the budget might be the limiting factor dont worry about only 2 hours of sleep, this is common with me...

anie973, would you think 2 ottomans would do the job instead of a center table? I kinda like the look but not sure about convenience... I know i will be able to put light stuf in these and wont have the extra "table space" but they are nice when you wanna sit down and watch a movie lets say

I think I'll go ahead with the mural at least to start and then a TV
The mural will be approx $450 (canadian $) I couldnt find a cheaper price for the prints ($34 /ea for 20"x20" photo quality)... thats why I enjoy getting feedback before I commit to do the job.

btw thanks for your replies everybody, I appreciate!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:33 PM  
slownsteady
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 192 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 250

BTW; good job with the PhotoShop. I wondered if it was already up there.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

thanks slownsteady, I actually used the "gimp" as I am a linux user

I am myself surprised about the result, I didn't expect to get something that clean... this is what I usually do before I try in real life, I "simulate" the job on my computer the best I can and that gives me a pretty good idea of what it will look like...

Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 PM  
Maverick7687

I like the mural, as well as the idea of the TV on the wall. If you get really froggy you can run the wires behind the drywall and put the components in the empty spaces in the cabinet.
I would love to be able to do things like that with The Gimp.. I haven't found too many good tutorials, being a Linux user as well.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 PM  
condoowner

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Maverick7687, I like the idea of running the wires behind the wall.. Basically, I believe I would only have to cut a clean hole behind the TV wall mount, and cut a similar hole at the bottom of the wall to allow the cables through. Right?

haha I am FAR from being good with the Gimp.... There is tons of tutorials on the web, also look at (you)tube you can find some nice videos there. first thing I would recommend is converting the interface to a photoshop-like interface if you are used to photoshop... It might help you navigate through the options...

Quick Reply